A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tiptronic Shifter button - broken pull-up rod

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic Shifter button - broken pull-up rod

Has anyone repaired the pull-up lever on the 6sp units? Someone abused the shift know and successfully broke the pull-up rod/lever. So, I am now looking at a broken pull up rod and I don't want to pay $500 for the shifter mechanism plus $$$$ labor.
There is a link
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ken+shift+****
but the photos are not displayed. Anyone else been thru this?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Shifter image w/ broken plastic rod

This is the broken pull-up rod made of plastic. Yes, it is lighter than steel or aluminum, but I think either would have been a better material choice.

How to replace or rebuild this little item?
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Better image

This shows some of the detail. The plastic has an "X" profile to it. I do not believe gluing the two pieces together will last long.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did this happen?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default How did it happen?...

I bought the car from an auction, sight unseen. I suspect would-be thief tried to remove the shifter **** by cranking over as far as possible. When he/she heard the snap, they decided to give up. My loss.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really know, but I think you should take it to a shop...
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fixed shifter rod

This should have been an easy job, but Audi has created a 8 job to replace teh shifter linkage. To begin with, the plastic rod that is shown in the above photos is not available from Audi as a replacement part. The only option is to replace the entire shifting mechanism. Or make your own. I chose the later option. Made from a stronger plastic stock and fitted with a laser cut fitting/catch mechanism, I think I created a better part than the original. Okay, so I'm boasting.
Removing the shifter assembly requires removing the following:
1) Most items above the drive shaft tunnel including the arm rest,
2) Exhaust system
3) Drive shaft
4) Shift linkage to transmission
5) Shifter housing
Be sure to have the nice VAG socket drivers. A regular torx set will not do the job.
I am amazed how difficult it was to do compared to a "normal" car. Tight packaging has some negative consequences.
I can post pics if people are interested.
The following users liked this post:
shae (05-31-2021)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken shifter

Same problem. ..Pls how did you fix it? Thanks .
Old 07-06-2019, 01:54 AM
KRT
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here....
Coud you please share some insight on how you did it?
Thank you
Old 07-06-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There's 3 things that come to mind what i would do if i didn't want to replace the unit. One, If you have a 3D printer you could always take the unit out, apart and print a new rod. That would be pretty awesome.

Two, what i would do is drill a very small through hole in the plastic first to prevent it from cracking,and then buy a very small machine screw with fine thread from the store and screw it into the plastic so that an equal amount is sticking out on both ends. Then with a stiff but not to stiff mechanics wire or something similar wrap it on one end, create a new loop, and wrap it on the other end of the screw. With a new loop made, twist it 90 degrees so orientate correctly and install a Black Forest Industries shift ****. If you get the length right, or get it all super close maybe you can even reuse the stock ****.

Third, if you wanted to use the factory **** you can but, the side button would be of no use anymore. This way, using needle nose pliers, pull the plastic up, while holding drill the hole and install the screw. This way the screw will be stopped from going down further by the metal shaft channel and will override the need for the button. Just always be careful if you tend to leave your hand on the shift **** while driving so you don't push it into N for example.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Shifter button - broken pull-up rod