A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

TPMS question...again

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question...again

Hey guys,

I know parts of my question have been answered in previous threads, but needed a concrete answer before I make my service appointment for my '06 A6.

I purchased new sensors online (pre-programmed 433mhz)
can I just have any shop swap these in and then go into the MMI, select Change wheels and set tire pressure and I should be ok or does it need to go to Audi?

Back Story:
I've had my 2006 A6 3.2 for about 6000 miles / 8 months. I never had any issues with the TPMS and then when I was looking in the MMI, I found the option for change wheels and I reset the sensors. (oops) When I did, I received the Tyre Pressure System Malfunction message. Resetting the light with the correct PSI in the tires by changing wheels and hitting set tire pressure doesn't resolve as the light will come back on after 20 min of driving. Took to Audi, they didn't see anything wrong (though I suspect they didn't actually look hard and just reset the same way I did).

Thank you in advance and happy new year!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by STEALTTH
Hey guys,

I know parts of my question have been answered in previous threads, but needed a concrete answer before I make my service appointment for my '06 A6.

I purchased new sensors online (pre-programmed 433mhz)
can I just have any shop swap these in and then go into the MMI, select Change wheels and set tire pressure and I should be ok or does it need to go to Audi?
That's all you need to do, all through the mmi. No need to take it into Audi.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
That's all you need to do, all through the mmi. No need to take it into Audi.
Perfect! Thanks so much
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought TPMS on the internet about 3000 miles ago. The local tire shop did the install. The tech had to drive a few miles before they all started "talking?). I had no problems until a month ago when the fault would go off. I checked the pressure with 2 different gauges to find them on the money. I set "store current tire pressure" and it wouldn't do it. After about three miles the the tire pressure icon went out on its own. This now happens two or three times a day. I just ignore it and it goes out after a few miles. They must be hooked up to a gps somehow because it goes off within 100 yds. of the same place every day. Hilarious.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for the info! Though...Hilarious isn't the word I'd use!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Solomonschris
I bought TPMS on the internet about 3000 miles ago. The local tire shop did the install. The tech had to drive a few miles before they all started "talking?). I had no problems until a month ago when the fault would go off. I checked the pressure with 2 different gauges to find them on the money. I set "store current tire pressure" and it wouldn't do it. After about three miles the the tire pressure icon went out on its own. This now happens two or three times a day. I just ignore it and it goes out after a few miles. They must be hooked up to a gps somehow because it goes off within 100 yds. of the same place every day. Hilarious.
if it is a function of the particular location maybe there is radio frequency source near that place. and that radio frequency interfears with the TPMS.
If it is a function of a driven distance, then it migh be bad sensors (i.e. old batteries in the sensors).

BTW, I bought third party sensors for $40 each and had no problems with them at all.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

I could also be the TPS for the spare tire in the trunk. I believe it is also read by the system. Take your spare out of the trunk and go for a drive and see if the light comes on.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I could also be the TPS for the spare tire in the trunk. I believe it is also read by the system. Take your spare out of the trunk and go for a drive and see if the light comes on.
The C6 high TPMS only reads off of 4 sensors...so even if the one in the trunk is bad, it won't affect the reading. However, if one of your sensors which is on a mounted wheel is bad AND the one in the trunk is as well...then you will get an error.

I had an issue with a TPMS on the car and my local indy had a snap-on tool which identified which one it was and all kinds of other details related to the sensor, by simply waving it close to the valve stem. Give it a try.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. My only problem is going into my friend's SnapOn truck is that it is like going grocery shopping while really hungry.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beep, I think the radio frequency is the answer. So is it the sender TPM, or the receiver in the dash that is the problem?

Quick Reply: TPMS question...again