A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Trans, diff and transfer case fluid change

Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Have you contacted your local audi dealership and simply asked them for your particular VIN which transmission fluid you need?

BTW, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will have done any transmission fluid change to your car, since most dealerships swear by the line 'it's a LIFETIME fluid'. However, some actually have an ounce of logic and admit that it should be changed. CTC seems to know what they are doing, so they certainly are SMEs (subject matter experts) regarding ZF trannys.

Good luck
Originally Posted by dzywicki
I was confused about the Lifeguard 6+ fluid so I sent a question the thectsc.com support email and got the following reply:

LifeGuard 6+ is no longer sold by ZF, LifeGuard 8 is its replacement.
Especially if you have the transmission software updated there is no issue.
We have not put together Audi fluid change kits as of yet.

Best regards
Klaus

A little less murky I suppose.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was confused about the Lifeguard 6+ fluid so I sent a question the thectsc.com support email and got the following reply:

LifeGuard 6+ is no longer sold by ZF, LifeGuard 8 is its replacement.
Especially if you have the transmission software updated there is no issue.
We have not put together Audi fluid change kits as of yet.

Best regards
Klaus

A little less murky I suppose.
ZF pretty much replaced LifeGuard 6+ with LifeGuard 8(in other words discontinued LG6+).

Also you might want to check this out and see if it's still available: http://classifieds.audiworld.com/sho...t/10486/cat/22

Last edited by eazy211187; 05-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Have you contacted your local audi dealership and simply asked them for your particular VIN which transmission fluid you need?

BTW, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will have done any transmission fluid change to your car, since most dealerships swear by the line 'it's a LIFETIME fluid'. However, some actually have an ounce of logic and admit that it should be changed. CTC seems to know what they are doing, so they certainly are SMEs (subject matter experts) regarding ZF trannys.

Good luck
I was finally able to call the dealership where the previous owner was taking it for service. The technician said the transmission software was updated, but the fluid was not changed. I asked how much a fluid change was and he said "it's a lifetime fluid". I asked, "if you could change the magical lifetime fluid, how much would it cost" and he said they don't recommend it.

Whatever. I'll go with the Lifeguard 8, like thectsc recommended and not go with the dealers recommendation.

Makes me wonder how many Audis suffer premature transmission failure from the magical lifetime fluid. I guess the same goes for other manufacturer's saying the same thing.

Not sure what the point of the TSB on the transmission was about. That recommended updating the software and then flushing the old fluid out and replacing with the updated fluid.

This would be why I try at least understand what is needed and try to do the work myself.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

To add one more data point (not clarity, just data ). I called my local deale and asked for the part # for the ATF and how much a fluid change would cost. He answered as expected that it's lifetime. The part # he gave me is: G060162A2, which equated to Lifeguard 8.

I said that I thought ZF recommended changing every 60k miles and he said that Audi fluid is 100% synthetic and that's why it doesn't need changed. So Audi fluid is not Lifeguard fluid and Lifeguard is not 100% synthetic?

The wisdom on The Google seems to say that the lifetime fluid philosophy is that as the clutch plates wear and thin, the material is absorbed into the fluid and it keeps the clutch plates from slipping. Replacing the fluid will remove the worn material and cause slippage.

I just can't get over $45/liter fluid.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

just get the fluid and be done with it. Yeah it's pricey, but you only do it once every 4-5 years...so amortized over the length of time or mileage, it's not much. Plus you'll have piece of mind.

BTW, mine only took 5 quarts, so all you need to buy is 6 quarts (to be on the safe side).

have fun
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wisdom on The Google seems to say that the lifetime fluid philosophy is that as the clutch plates wear and thin, the material is absorbed into the fluid and it keeps the clutch plates from slipping. Replacing the fluid will remove the worn material and cause slippage.

I just can't get over $45/liter fluid.
that is such a retarded myth, and has no scientific backing, just a bunch of idiots on forums whos moms dads sisters cousins transmission failed after they changed the fluid so it must be because the fluid, not because it was acting up and ready to die from lack of fluid changed.

And lifetime fluid, i work at a repair shop, its my number one service i get customers to do. 80k fluid is jet black, nasty, trans shifted alittle harsh and delayed. After a change, man, perfect, smooth shifts with no trouble. Definatly change it heres a cheaper source than the dealer.

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=193&parent=0
Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I completely agree that lifetime fluid is a completely myth (I should have clarified that I don't agree with, just summarizing what I found on The Google). At this point, I am definitely going to change all the drivetrain fluids out. I was going to use Lifeguard 8 from thectsc for the transmission.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am gathering supplies for a complete driveline fluid change and wanted to use the collected wisdom on the transmission filter. Looks like 2 options. Thectsc sells a combined pan/filter for $142. There are other places that sell just the filter for ~$70. Both options need a gasket.
I'm inclined to just get a filter and gasket, but ctsc must sell the combined pan/filter version for a reason. Does the combined make it easier? I've changed plenty of trans filters.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I did this a little while back and the only thing I can forsee the need for a new pan is due to damage to the current one on your car. If the current one is structurally sound, I can't imagine any need for a new one. BTW, the pan and filter are independent of one another, therefore buying the whole assembly does not have any advantage over just buying the filter.

For the record, I replaced with ZF8, filter, and gasket only.

Last edited by raj99; 05-10-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i also just went with filter and gasket only.
/H

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans, diff and transfer case fluid change