A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bballfreak,
I And i guess more of us would appreciate a list or more detailed scope of work for the ATF change im planning on doing mine as well but i just want to make sure i do it right. i have 05 4.2 c6 .
would really appreciate it.

happy easter everyone.

PC
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil ATF Is Now An Approved Replacement For Audi G 060162 A2 Fluid

Amsoil ATF can now be used as a replacement for ZF LifeGuard 8/Audi / VW Oil No. G 060162 A1/A2/A6 ATF. Check it out at the Amsoil website. About one third the price of Lifeguard 8.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

im having my ATF changed by the dealer with the new (blue) fluid and software update.
the ext warranty is covering the cost $1600, there was a leak in the tranny pan. so i asked them to use the blue fluid and update it too.

hopefully that will solve the unusual acting up of the tranny. will keep you posted...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcamaj
im having my ATF changed by the dealer with the new (blue) fluid and software update.
the ext warranty is covering the cost $1600, there was a leak in the tranny pan. so i asked them to use the blue fluid and update it too.

hopefully that will solve the unusual acting up of the tranny. will keep you posted...
What is this software update everyone keeps talking about?? The B7 guys have done the lifeguard8 update but didn't do any tcm update, and they're running fine, so what gives?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by freshfrompacificrim
What is this software update everyone keeps talking about?? The B7 guys have done the lifeguard8 update but didn't do any tcm update, and they're running fine, so what gives?
There is a TSB about this... As far as that goes if blue fluid is applied u need software and tcm update. If u use the same fluid update is not necessary. I will find out what exactly have they done .... That's all I can tell u ....
P.S update to blue and tcm update is done because mine Is not "running fine"
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Trans service (bump)

OK, looking to do the fluid change on my recently acquired 2005 A6 4.2, 127k miles. Not having problems, but preventative maintenance is a 'good thing'. Asked the local dealer about the service history of my car, to ascertain whether the software update was done or not. Of course, the reply was that 'the transmission is sealed, no service is required'. So, I'm pushing the issue, as the dealer should have service records to indicate whether the software was ever updated.

So, big questions: I'd prefer to do the change of the filter and fluid myself, but obviously the dealer will possibly have to do the software update. Is there much risk in changing the fluid and filter, then driving to the dealer the 23 miles to have them update the software? Or, vice-versa?

Is there a verdict on the various compatible ATF fluids? Lifeguard? Pentosin? Is there an equivalent for the 'original' (orange?) fluid? Seems like scouring the various postings doesn't really reveal a 'definitive' answer..

-Darryl
Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The owners manual states that the trans fluid should be changed every 35K
Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You would be fine driving it home. I do find you crazy. In a sense that your not experiencing any issues yet you want to do te software update that requires the ludicrously expensive fluid. Why not do a traditional trans flush with some quality fluid and save your sanity as well as some well earned $$$! If my A8 wasn't experiencing issues I would have changed the fluid much later than I did; if at all. Either way I wouldn't have wanted the expensive route that grants me no positive effects vs. the standard.

And a trans flush every 35k...? Haha.
Please feed the dealer if your that ignorant.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
You would be fine driving it home. I do find you crazy. In a sense that your not experiencing any issues yet you want to do te software update that requires the ludicrously expensive fluid. Why not do a traditional trans flush with some quality fluid and save your sanity as well as some well earned $$$! If my A8 wasn't experiencing issues I would have changed the fluid much later than I did; if at all. Either way I wouldn't have wanted the expensive route that grants me no positive effects vs. the standard.

And a trans flush every 35k...? Haha.
Please feed the dealer if your that ignorant.
Crazy...well, maybe. Since my car has 127k miles on it, I'm just wanting to be sure that I treat it well, for a long life. (It's a new car to me).

That being said, if I could conclusively identify a suitable fluid for the existing software, that would be 'good enough' for me.

The local Audi dealer has taken a position of ignorance on the TSB for the software update, claiming no knowledge of any such software update, and thus far, is reluctant to give me what service records my VIN number may have already applied. That's one of my concerns: If the new fluid has already been used, then I have to stick with that. If not, then I could use whatever the equivalent of the current is.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by royclark
The owners manual states that the trans fluid should be changed every 35K
Diesels have totally different transmissions than gasoline A6s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?