A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fuild Change: Now shifting 'strange'

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCold
I took a quick look at the receipt and all it says is Universal Synthetic ATF. Drafting an email to the service manager right now to see if he can give me the part number of the fluid usesd.
Sounds like they have used something like Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

According to ZF, the internals of these transmission are very sensitive to the proper ATF and the Audi specified fluid MUST be used. If not it WILL result in damage to the transmission. If this shop did not use the proper fluid then I think they should be responsible for the repair.

In addition, it is not possible to do a simple transmission fluid change and get out all of the old fluid. About 1/2 will remain in the Torque Converter. A fluid flush can change all 10 liters but that means 10 liters of the expensive fluid + a new filter and the risk that the flushing will dislodge junk in the tranny and cause more problems.

I went through a similar problem with a Honda and got the shop to pay for the repair costs at the dealer. It took a long time to settle but I eventually got the money.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
According to ZF, the internals of these transmission are very sensitive to the proper ATF and the Audi specified fluid MUST be used. If not it WILL result in damage to the transmission. If this shop did not use the proper fluid then I think they should be responsible for the repair.

In addition, it is not possible to do a simple transmission fluid change and get out all of the old fluid. About 1/2 will remain in the Torque Converter. A fluid flush can change all 10 liters but that means 10 liters of the expensive fluid + a new filter and the risk that the flushing will dislodge junk in the tranny and cause more problems.

I went through a similar problem with a Honda and got the shop to pay for the repair costs at the dealer. It took a long time to settle but I eventually got the money.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. The car seems to be working now, but what happens if the transmission has a failure later on down the road. How do I get the dealership to take ownership of the issue. I'd rather not go through the legal hassle. Here's hoping that they just change the transmission fluid to the correct stuff and nothing bad happens...
Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just had my fluid changed. Cost a fortune. Has to be the exact fluid for the chassis number. Not even on the shelf at Audi dealer ha to be specially ordered for my car. Guy who did it is striaght as a die and would not try to rip me off. Had to use the exact oil which Audi charge £27per litre!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi there
take a look at this 3 links , maybe will help you
http://www.ehow.com/how_5000414_chan...i-quattro.html
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...on_fluid.shtml

good luck
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZF OEM

"Proper and correct" Audi service is only as good as it's service manager and he works for the dealer.... so I trusted only the transmission manufacturer with the critical info for my ZF. Get your transmission number and call ZF but I'm fairly sure you'll be Lifeguard 6 or 6plus, LG is hard to find and spendy so Turkeybaster115's research (message above) is very helpful:

Last edited by mystrodo; 01-10-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Things sure got quiet in this thread when you showed the actual ZF Lifeguard trans bottle, ya must have scared him. It's still worth it imo.

Originally Posted by mystrodo
"Proper and correct" Audi service is only as good as it's service manager and he works for the dealer.... so I trusted only the transmission manufacturer with the critical info for my ZF. Get your transmission number and call ZF but I'm fairly sure you'll be Lifeguard 6 or 6plus, LG is hard to find and spendy so Turkeybaster115's research (message above) is very helpful:
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

LOL.

I wasn't able to make it into the dealer last Thursday, so I'm re-scheduled for the 27th.

The transmission isn't acting the same now. Before there was a definate issue shifting between 4th and 5th, now that seems a bit smoother, but the whole thing is just 'harsh' (compairatively to the way it was). I'm really hoping that when i go to the dealer they don't give me the "welp, seems fine to me, move along please."

I'm sure someone who is used to the A6 and how it shifts could tell the difference, but it's not like a loud bang, or a completely noticable thing. Now the transmission just shifts a little harder than it used to and seems to be over eager to shift to a lower gear at the first hint of a hill or pedal fluctuation.

Maybe it's just time I find my self an S6....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

S6=same transmission.

Your transmission should be ok if they used the proper fluid and did the correct procedure required to change it..even if they didn't, if you haven't put many miles on it with the wrong fluid you should be ok once it's corrected. When mine was changed they also did a ZF mandatory software update which might be the problem if they used the correct fluid? Check your TSB's

BTW..you can contact ZF USA at:
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/compa...orthville.html
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 06a6cpo
It's still worth it imo.
It imperative if you want long reliable TM life, the C6 was built for long life. really there's no excuse for a certified Audi dealer/shop not to know the correct
procedure with this transmission unless the SM is an idiot..and they exist. Your better off driving 200 miles and paying for a hotel if that's what it takes to get correct service. Any self-respecting Audi/Bimmer/Merc Indy shop will do a proper change.

btw,see if you have an AudiClub nearby, a very good bunch to know and fun!
http://www.audiclubna.org/

Last edited by mystrodo; 01-18-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added link

Quick Reply: Transmission Fuild Change: Now shifting 'strange'