A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Transmission hiccups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There you go. You have misfire. Your 3 and 5 dont misfire...the first thing i would try is to do smoke test or slightly tighten intake manifold bolts..10nm tight if you have tourqe wrentch..or gently tighten by hand but be carefull..you are tightening metal bilts into plastic...
then you could test it a bit longer to make sure 3 and 5 dont show for sure...then mark them and swap them with any misfiring cylinders...then monitor again..if misfire shows up on 3 and 5 after your swap..then your coils are going bad..is the same shows up then you can try swapping spark plugs..monitor again..
there is no way in this galaxy you can have oil on spark plug treads even if that cyl burns oil. It will show up there if you valve cover O ring leaks into spark plug boot..of course while removing it oil will get on treads and the rest will leak into cylinder. I have replaced hundreds of coil boots and valve cover gaskets on bmw and audis just for misfire reason...oil will short spark plug and it wont fire..you will know if you have bad valve cover gaskets if you pull coils out and see any oil on boot or in spark plug hole...
But something is telling me that you have air leak..plastic aluminium and metal do shrink and expand depending on temperature..pay attention when hiccup happen most...cold outside..hot?
It is time consuming to find real issue..it is allways easier to just change parts and see what is going to happen.. And yes..scanner will show misfire count while it is happening...it will reset count to 0 if there is no misfire for some short time..
almost forgot...once you are in any module and hit clear codes..all codes will be erased..so will p2404 too but it will come back...

Originally Posted by akingzkid
I held the pedal down to the floor on the first try but I just didn't do it fast enough. I was reading the info on the screen and realized that it had changed to "error". So I went ahead and did the throttle body adapt again and did the trans adapt again. But I did not go back and scan the trans and engine to clear any codes. So, I need to do it again. When you say scan and clear any codes are you referring to DTC codes like the P2404 that I mentioned or are you referring to the faults that individual modules can have?

Ok. Good to know that even though I was in the kick down area, that was the correct area to do the trans adapt.

I didn't feel any difference on the drive home from work so I don't think it was done correctly. So like I said, I will try it again.

Thanks for helping me try to eliminate issues.

With that being said, I went into module 015 and 016 on the way home today and it was a whole different story than this morning. This morning I felt zero hiccups and the Xtool didn't report any misfires. On the way home I felt several of them in several different gears. The tool shows 1.0 misfire on a particular cylinder but it only stays there for a short period of time and then it goes away. I want to say that I think when I came to a stop they would clear themselves also. Are they supposed to stay so they can tally the total or is it supposed to clear back to zero after like a minute?

So far I have captured them in cylinders 1, 2, 4 and 6. I think I could feel the hiccup when they occurred in 1, 2 and 4 but I didn't notice it for cylinder 6. I was surprised to look down and see that one. I'm sure if I tested it long enough that I would have them in 3 and 5 also (I'm totally guessing).

Here are a few pics.

So what does this mean? Should I try to clean my spark plugs and get any oil off of them that's there? Should I just get new plugs, even if they look good? I pulled 2 of them a month or so ago and posted pics and Kelisko said they looked ok. I also didn't think they looked too bad except he did point out that there was quite a bit of oil on the threads.

Do I need to get all new coil packs? Not sure how much that costs. Ugh. Is there a way to test those prior to just buying new ones?

Thanks. You are being really helpful. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Nurke; 07-13-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurke
There you go. You have misfire. Your 3 and 5 dont misfire...the first thing i would try is to do smoke test or slightly tighten intake manifold bolts..10nm tight if you have tourqe wrentch..or gently tighten by hand but be carefull..you are tightening metal bilts into plastic...
then you could test it a bit longer to make sure 3 and 5 dont show for sure...then mark them and swap them with any misfiring cylinders...then monitor again..if misfire shows up on 3 and 5 after your swap..then your coils are going bad..is the same shows up then you can try swapping spark plugs..monitor again..
there is no way in this galaxy you can have oil on spark plug treads even if that cyl burns oil. It will show up there if you valve cover O ring leaks into spark plug boot..of course while removing it oil will get on treads and the rest will leak into cylinder. I have replaced hundreds of coil boots and valve cover gaskets on bmw and audis just for misfire reason...oil will short spark plug and it wont fire..you will know if you have bad valve cover gaskets if you pull coils out and see any oil on boot or in spark plug hole...
But something is telling me that you have air leak..plastic aluminium and metal do shrink and expand depending on temperature..pay attention when hiccup happen most...cold outside..hot?
It is time consuming to find real issue..it is allways easier to just change parts and see what is going to happen.. And yes..scanner will show misfire count while it is happening...it will reset count to 0 if there is no misfire for some short time..
almost forgot...once you are in any module and hit clear codes..all codes will be erased..so will p2404 too but it will come back...
Great advice again. And I forgot to post the pics. I meant to mention something that is right in line with what you are thinking. It did not do it this morning and it was around 72 degrees. This afternoon it was closer to 90 degrees.

I think it has something to do with temperature. As a matter of fact. It now makes sense why I did not feel it when I bought the car but it's now getting worse and worse. It's because I got the car at the end of January. And now as it's getting warmer, it's acting up. Wow. I will check the coil and spark plug boot for oil and I can do the coil swap that you mention and track which cylinders continue to misfire. I will also check the intake manifold bolts. I think I tightened them a few months ago though. I don't have the equip to do the smoke test. A co'worker said he is going to build a smoke machine so he can smoke test his car. Maybe I can use his.

And yes, I know how to clear the P2404 and I most certainly know it will come back. That's why I have a piece of black electrical tape over the CEL. LOL. I check it every month thought just to make sure there are no other codes. But, I thought you have to clear the codes in all of the other modules one by one. At least that is what I have done in the past. I'm not sure I know exactly where to go to clear them all at once. The ones I am talking about are the ones that show up on the "Rapid Scan". I have to clear those one at a time and do another scan (scan takes about a minute each time) and then clear the next one......and so on. See the picture of one of the scans Thanks.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by akingzkid
So far I have captured them in cylinders 1, 2, 4 and 6. I think I could feel the hiccup when they occurred in 1, 2 and 4 but I didn't notice it for cylinder 6. I was surprised to look down and see that one. I'm sure if I tested it long enough that I would have them in 3 and 5 also (I'm totally guessing).
Your cylinder firing order is; 1-4-3-6-2-5. Cyls 1,2 and 3 are your passenger side...4,5 and 6 are drivers. You felt hiccups bc the engine is loosing momentum...1 and 4 misfire, 3 fires ok, then another one 6 and 2 lost momentum, 5 pushes ok all that in one revolution..then again 1 and 4 loss.
If you had constant misfire your engine would run really bad. Most likely would turn off... Since your issue is intermittent it will be hard to find out...maybe you just ignore it until it gets a bit worse.. then it will be easier to find real issue..
Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nurke,
I checked the bolts on the intake manifold this morning and they were all tight.

Also, I got a misfire on cylinder 3 this morning (any multiple other misfires on the other cylinders again). And the temperature outside was only maybe a few degrees hotter than the other morning when I didn't see any misfires. So, as of now, the only one that I have not seen a misfire yet is cylinder 5. I am sure it will misfire soon. It is just a matter of time. Other than doing a smoke test, I guess all I can do is wait until it is much worse. I guess I can take the plugs out and inspect them and the boots/cylinder hole for oil.

Here is another though........I saw another post here that is currently being commented on where someone mentions the high pressure fuel pump maybe being related to misfires. I don't know what to think about that. However, I have a weird sound when I open my driver's door after the car has sat for a little while and "gone to sleep". I posted a youtube video of it on this site and a few people think it might be the HPFP. I will go find the link and post it after I post this.

On a different note............my AC stopped working this morning on the way to work. It did it once or twice a few months ago but it only lasted for about a minute or two. This morning it was not blowing cold air for the entire 40 minute drive to work. I turned the car off when I got to work and immediately started it again and the air started working. Now I have YET ANOTHER issue to look into.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome to owning used audi group.
It is never ending battle. Before you fix one issue another will show up. With audi it is always intermittent issue.
Yesterday I spent all day rewiring aftermarket fan control module which showed being defective, then rewiring old one back only to find that main engine fan is bad..just ordered fans on Amazon...

What you hear when you open drivers door when the engine is cold is your supply fuel pump priming fuel to hpfp which is normal operation.
You can try to scan ac with your scanner.. but double check your fans.. thats how it all started on my wifes car.
Also try searching here on forum timing groups 91, 92, 93.. try to understand what to look for in those groups to see if your tensioner or adjusters are failing..
Personally I like to apply CRC intake valve cleaner before every oil change. Youtube CRC intake valve cleaner and see how it is done...you might have carbon on valves..
Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I forgot to post the link. Check this sound out. Sounds like a monster. Does it every time I open the driver’s door if the car has sat for like 30 min or longer.

Where are you by the way? You may live near me. I’m in Fredericksburg, VA.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im in Germantown, MD...
It acts like fuel pump priming, but sounds weird. Did you have someone open the door while you were trying to figure out where is is coming from?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nurke
Im in Germantown, MD...
It acts like fuel pump priming, but sounds weird. Did you have someone open the door while you were trying to figure out where is is coming from?
I think I did once before but I can't remember where the sound was coming from. I need to do it again.

Could that HPFP noise be related in any way to the misfires????
Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nurke, did you find out how I can look up the software version using the Vag 401 tool? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry , no I coulnt find anything related to software..

Quick Reply: Transmission hiccups?