A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-09-2016, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Transponder in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transponder in steering column

Found out today from AUDI service that the reason my 2005 A6 will not start is that the key is not being recognized by ba security transponder in the steering column. Its not the key its acftually the transponder that is the issue, but they cannot replace the part, but instead must replace the entire steering column. Is there a way to get an aftermarket transponder and actually replace that part or is AUDI taking the easy way out and mostr costly to me: 2100 parts and labor estimate.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

You need to replace the entire column.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had the same thing happen to my 2005 4.2 at around 70000 miles
I tried to pull it apart and get the sensor out of the column. It's not possible. The column is only $900 rebuilt if you send them the core. It is a ton of work to pull out. I wouldn't try it again. It sucked. Then... Once you have it back in you have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor and re set the immobalizer. Then you need to get the car aligned. I did it my self and it still cost me about 1500 and I still had to tow it to the shop for the computer stuff. Good luck man... Been there
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for input, I hate that it costs 2100 bucks to get a car to start when it has absolutely nothing to do with the car being ablke to operate. I asked AUDI if they could just immobilize that security function and they say there is no way. But your post at least tellsd me that for the time/dollars it will be better for me to have them do it.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's BS that audi designs systems like that

what about a transponder bypass?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Transpo...70709089507%26
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Im with you

I just had this happen to me last friday. My car was running fine and then all the sudden it wouldnt turn on friday. I had to have it towed to the shop i get it worked on, and after the new steering column and towing it should cost me around 1900. Still waiting to get my car back from the shop. Its made me think if i need to start looking at a new car or not, but im hesitant to get rid of my A6. Goodluck man
Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

was the key stuck in the ignition? what are the symptoms? make sure the ignition switch is not bad. is it just no start or are other things not working?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

same thing happened to me. audi wanted to sell me a column .after some carefull diagnosis i found a bad ignition switch. was there a 00166 code? i dont trust any audi dealer at all!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Key was not stuck in the ignition.
The MMI interface to the car only indication not "greyed" out was the battery indicator.
THe front console digital display would not light up.
The Audi diagnosis/bill did not indicate the code.
Radio worked, Navi worked, steering column was locked. Parkingh brake would not deactivate as car needs to be ON for that to work.
Glad yours was just the ign switch.
I am at the same place with this audi dealership. They quoted me 1500 bucks to take care of a right rear EPB, module harness etc... I declined. took a look and wires had corroded to the point they were no longer connected at the EPB motor. Bought wire connector and wire,butt spliced in and its working fine.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SOConnell
I just had this happen to me last friday. My car was running fine and then all the sudden it wouldnt turn on friday. I had to have it towed to the shop i get it worked on, and after the new steering column and towing it should cost me around 1900. Still waiting to get my car back from the shop. Its made me think if i need to start looking at a new car or not, but im hesitant to get rid of my A6. Goodluck man
I am with you also, nice car but can't afford the mntc hits, and the trust issue with service dept. I had a battery go bad two years ago, local shop replaced it. 6 months later it failed. Audi said it failed because it was not "coded", stated it was also the wrong battery. It was an interstate battery proper for Audi per the website. Audi service people could not explain in a way that made sense why a battery would fail because it was not coded. Maybe it is true, but why?, lack of an adequate answer leads to mistrust. They told my wife they could not use the other battery (I wasin Korea for work) as it was wrong one. So they couldn't just jump it and code it.

Quick Reply: Transponder in steering column