A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Use of oil catch can to help with carbon build up on valves??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Use of oil catch can to help with carbon build up on valves??

Guys,
I stumbled across a video and the guy was talking about using an oil catch can to "catch and separate the oil and unburned fuel and send back clean air that is filtered to the intake manifold so you don't get the sludge".

Fast fwd to the 13:00 mark

Here is a picture of the catch can.

What are your thoughts on this? I find it odd that I have not seen anyone on the forum talk about this. Or maybe I have not searched hard enough. (Edit......I found a Oct 2015 post about it but it didn't go into much detail. My guess is this would be a very involved and not straight forward mod).

Would this be hard to install? Or is it even possible for us to install? The guy in the video said it is installed between the PCV valve and the intake manifold.

Also, I found the following items at Harbor Freight. Is this good enough to do the walnut carbon blasting? Or is this too "cheap" and won't work? Or is it just better to let some solution soak in there and scrub it off?

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...kit-37025.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs...dia-92155.html

Also saw this type of device that is made for exact engines (the silver piece, not the blue piece). It fits down in the cylinder head so that when using the walnut blaster that it contains the debris and a vacuum hose connects right to the back of it to suck up the debris. Any idea if they make these for the 3.2 engine?

Thanks.

Last edited by akingzkid; 08-12-2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Add more detail to the post