A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Vag-com vs. warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vag-com vs. warranty?

Anyone purchse vag-com and wish they had used it to help pay for an extended warranty or vice-versa? How helpful was vag-com in repairing your vehicle, or did many of you end up taking it to get fixed anyway?

Thanks for the info. I am making my first audi purchse this weekend and am gathering as much info as possible.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't VAG-COM just diagnosis? I mean you can get the error codes from the VAG, but u still have to fix the issue. I beleive, you can clear the error code using the VAG, but if the issue is not fixed those error codes will come back after the car is driven for some time.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
Anyone purchse vag-com and wish they had used it to help pay for an extended warranty or vice-versa? How helpful was vag-com in repairing your vehicle, or did many of you end up taking it to get fixed anyway?

Thanks for the info. I am making my first audi purchse this weekend and am gathering as much info as possible.
You can use it to customize some vehicle settings (e.g. (B5/S4): auto up/down windows, transmission shift mode) and read/clear fault codes. I don't know how it works for a late model A6.

Unless you like to tinker, I'd say you're better off borrowing one from time to time. The regional forums and vag forums should help you hook up with someone nearby if you need it.

Rory
Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you can use vagcomlocater.com or even go to autozone and rent one from there - but like i said earlier, the VAG doesn't fix mechanical issues.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I understand that vag-com doesn't fix your car but I guess what I am asking is if you guys think it pays for itself in diagnosing repairs that we can fix. Or do you think its money better spent elsewhere, like in helping pay for an extended warranty.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you don't need to buy it for the A6. You'd use it when you're modding to check up on things, but there is not much modding to be done on the A6.

Just take it to the dealer if you need work done. What's the point of diagnosing twice (once on your own the second time at the dealer) if you still need to take it in for the repairs?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Point well taken. Thanks am, rory, vegas
Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default VAG–COM allows you to do everything that a dealer can do...

with their VAG scan tool: troubleshoot problems, reset block values, read and delete DTCs, reset SRIs, etc. If you are a DIYer, then you should own VAG–COM or an OEM scan tool (e.g. VAS 5051, VAS 5052, etc.). W/o a fully VAG–compatible scan tool, you can't do any repair work on VWs or Audis. My VAG–COM has paid for itself many times over on the Audis and VW I have owned, a worthy investment.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
with their VAG scan tool: troubleshoot problems, reset block values, read and delete DTCs, reset SRIs, etc. If you are a DIYer, then you should own VAG–COM or an OEM scan tool (e.g. VAS 5051, VAS 5052, etc.). W/o a fully VAG–compatible scan tool, you can't do any repair work on VWs or Audis. My VAG–COM has paid for itself many times over on the Audis and VW I have owned, a worthy investment.
Copy that. I am a DIY when it comes to basic car maintence like brakes,rotors, oil changes, filter changes...but have never tackled anything major like timing belts, seals & gaskets, etc.

My two concerns are that, one, I'd have to buy a PC, as I have nothing but macs, along with 450 worth of equipment (including the service manual). Two, I may not be able to fix any problems that may occur. Sure I can reset things, check for faults, and add back my battery indicator (as I will be updating my MMI), is it worth a 1000.00 or is that money better spent purchsing a PRICEY exculsionary warranty (looking at about 4k). This is what Im trying to figure out.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Good points...

But here's one example on the C6. With the electronic parking brake, you need the scan tool to retract the brake so you can change out the pads. Without the scan tool, you'll ruin the electronic brake if you try to change the pads.

As for buying a PC, check around on eBay, Craigslist, etc. for a simple used laptop that you can load both the VAG–COM and the Bentley repair manual. You can also buy the Bentley manual from Ross Tech at discounted price when you purchase the VAG–COM adapter. That's what I did when I updated my adapter for the C6.

Quick Reply: Vag-com vs. warranty?