A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Valve cover DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Valve cover DIY?

Changed out the spark plugs today and oil was all over the coils so it's time for some new gaskets. Has anyone done a write up on this yet?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really easy to do. You just remove whatever is above the valve covers, the wiring to the coilpacks, then the nuts that hold down the valve cover gaskets. When installing new gaskets, make sure to place a dab of RTV in the corners of the arcs of the gasket. This would be a good time to take out the spark plugs to check if oil has seeped in the spark plug columns. If it has, clean out with old microfiber rag (this is about all this rag is going to be used for after this) to pick up all debris in the columns.

Installation is the reverse of the removal.

I have a set of OEM VCGs for the 3.2L, PM me if you're interested.

Happy Wrenching.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If someone doesn't mind posting the Bentley instructions...I lost my discs.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
If someone doesn't mind posting the Bentley instructions...I lost my discs.
r1Racer - Give me your email address and I'll email you the Benteley manual instructions. It will be great if you can make a DIY as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

so I did the valve cover gaskets about a month back and they a VERY simple for the most part, the only caveat that I'll add is make sure you have the RIGHT tool(s). In fact one thing which was worth its weight in gold was an adapter at the end of the socket extension which allowed 360 degree swiveling and thereby allowed me to reach the bolts which were otherwise near inaccessible.

Just make sure you remove ALL the bolts, and then gently tap the valve cover and it should release very easily.

I had a small leak and now it's fixed

BTW, you don't need to go overboard with the silicone, use it on the edges and on the 'half-moons' and you will be ok.

I also ended up changing my plugs at the same time as the job, since it was one of those 'hey i'm already here' deals and I knew the plugs needed to be swapped out.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up and thanks for the Bentley Am_Ver. I'll post some pics. Can anyone think of anything else that should be replaced while I'm in there (cam seals)?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

here the tool you need + a T30 torx bit
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RTV in the corners of the arcs of the gasket

Originally Posted by 2.7allroader
It's really easy to do. You just remove whatever is above the valve covers, the wiring to the coilpacks, then the nuts that hold down the valve cover gaskets. When installing new gaskets, make sure to place a dab of RTV in the corners of the arcs of the gasket. This would be a good time to take out the spark plugs to check if oil has seeped in the spark plug columns. If it has, clean out with old microfiber rag (this is about all this rag is going to be used for after this) to pick up all debris in the columns.

Installation is the reverse of the removal.

I have a set of OEM VCGs for the 3.2L, PM me if you're interested.

Happy Wrenching.
Hello Allroader, what do you mean by "arcs of the gasket"? Currently, I 'm in the middle of replacing my valve cover gaskets and timing chain covers. I just don't know which is the specific location. Any info would be great!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Did you check the torque on the valve cover gasket bolts? I had at the front left over the alternator. I was about to order gaskets but I decided to check the tightness of the bolts for the valve covers. The left side were all quite loose. I tightened them to factory specs. Now I need to wait to see if it is still leaking.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick question...how long to replace both gaskets? The dealership is telling me 7 hours to do both gaskets and plugs, which seems more than double.

Quick Reply: Valve cover DIY?