A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Want to buy 2007-2011 Audi S6

Old 04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Want to buy 2007-2011 Audi S6

Hello all,

I'm planning on moving from Ohio to South Carolina in the upcoming months, and I want to get into a new car after this happen. I've set my sights on the Audi S6. My family has a long history with Audi ownership, and my grandfather recently traded in a Audi A6 3.2 that ran flawlessly, so I'm somewhat familiar with the car. I want something that is somewhat practical and comfortable, yet also something that is fast, sounds good, and isn't a common sight on the roads, which is what drew me to the S6. (I'm stepping out of a Volvo XC90 V8 with some nice exhaust mods.) Here are my concerns:

How reliable is the engine in the S6?
Are there any particular services I should look out for?
Is it a better buy to get the S8 with the same V10, or the NA V8/V10 M5?
How costly is regular maintenance/fuel consumption?
Are there any other misc. issues I should look out for on the rest of the car?

I'm a little skeptical to get an Audi with such a big engine and running costs after recent never-ending issues with an A4 2.0T.

Thanks for any help and feedback, it's much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ams7714 View Post
Hello all,

I'm planning on moving from Ohio to South Carolina in the upcoming months, and I want to get into a new car after this happen. I've set my sights on the Audi S6. My family has a long history with Audi ownership, and my grandfather recently traded in a Audi A6 3.2 that ran flawlessly, so I'm somewhat familiar with the car. I want something that is somewhat practical and comfortable, yet also something that is fast, sounds good, and isn't a common sight on the roads, which is what drew me to the S6. (I'm stepping out of a Volvo XC90 V8 with some nice exhaust mods.) Here are my concerns:

I'm a little skeptical to get an Audi with such a big engine and running costs after recent never-ending issues with an A4 2.0T.

Thanks for any help and feedback, it's much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum and although similar questions have been asked numerous times in the past, here's some feedback for you:

- Depends. Do you have maintenance records and history? It's an exotic engine and hence not something most folks will be comfortable fixing and parts are rarely cheap.

- are you referring to maintenance items?

- it's the same engine on both, imho you'd be better off getting the new C7 S6 4.0TT

- as previously stated, it's an exotic engine and hence will cost as much, you'll be lucky to get more than 15 mpg, but as they say, if you can afford the car, you should be able to pay for the gas.

- Leverage the SEARCH function on this, but there was a guy who bought an S6 a little while back and spent ~$25K in repair, fortunately for him he had a full warranty, but was still out of pocket a fair chunk of change.

Whatever you do, seriously consider a full PPI and look at a good warranty.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can have a fast and somewhat rare car with an A6 3.0T tuned to stage II. On 100 Octane, it'll push 530hp+.

Not as cool as an S6, but with tasteful mods, can come very close. Also with the A6, you'll have more things to mod and money to do it with. And of course, a 2009+ A6 will have a better infotainment experience vs an older model S6. Fuel consumption would also be much lower when you're not commanding gobs of power to the wheels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: