A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Warm Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm Start Problem

I'm having a strange issue the last few weeks. After driving the car for awhile I turn it off. If I try to start it again after it has been sitting for 20 minutes or so, it will turn over but struggle to start. Yesterday it made that annoying screetching noise (like when you turn the key when the car is already on). I am using the the start button. After an hour, it starts just fine. Going to the dealer tomorrow, but it sounds like the dealer isn't too optimistic. I hope they can replicate the problem. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue with 2006

Mine started doing this (san keyless) about three months ago. The dealer I bought my car from (which I'll post my exerience later) didn't do anything to correct the problem. All they did was check the error codes and told me there is nothing they can do unless the problem can be replicated on command. I took it to another dealer nearby and they were a lot more diligent in terms of troublshooting. They did find that my residual fuel pressure was leaking and replaced the regulator. But the problem continued and Audi tech support ordered a decarbonization to be performed. I got my car back last week and although it seems better, the problem still exists.

I don't plan on taking it back until my next service interval. By then I'm hoping whatever is causing the problem logs an error code into the computer. Let us know what your dealer tells you. If they do find a problem and fixes it, please do share.

You can search my previous posts to find more info on my particular problem.

Nick
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Same issue with 2006

Did your problem occur warm weather? I'm wondering if it will happen now that it's getting cold here in Chicago. My appt. was pushed back to next week. Will let you know what the result is.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Started in summer

and the problem was definitely more prevalent when the weather got really hot (longer cranking time). I live in Socal and the weather has cooled off a bit but the problem still exists. But I do concur that problem might be more difficult to duplicate when it gets cold. Please let me know what your dealer tells you.

Cheers.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Started in summer

Of course the dealer could not duplicate (and then it happened two hours later).
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread from the dead, but did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm having the exact same problem. Cold starts are good. But warm starts are a complete other issue. Usually the car will start fine for immediately after turning off, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets. But then sometimes it starts perfectly. In fact, I've had it not start on the first start once.
I read somewhere else that it might be the knock sensors?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread from the dead, but did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm having the exact same problem. Cold starts are good. But warm starts are a complete other issue. Usually the car will start fine for immediately after turning off, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets. But then sometimes it starts perfectly. In fact, I've had it not start on the first start once.
I read somewhere else that it might be the knock sensors?
He has not visited the forum in over a year.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I replaced mine with another A6 in 2009 and never resolved the issue.

At least in my case, it was definitely a fuel issue because the engine fires right up if you tap the gas while cranking. If not, it would crank forever.

The problem happens when the outside temp is higher than 85-90 degrees and engine has been shut off between 30min to 4 Hrs. The problem happens more frequently when it's really hot, like Vegas weather.

Good luck with your troubleshooting. Let us know if you ever find the solution.