A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

What to look for, buying a 2005-6 A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What to look for, buying a 2005-6 A6 4.2

I'm looking at several 2005-6 4.2 A6's in my area.
This will be the 1st Audi I've ever purchased.
These years & model look like a good buy, for the money. The ones that I'm looking at are $5500-6500, with 125-145K miles.

I'm "semi-retired" from engineering & typically do all my own maintenamce, repairs & updates.

I've had a few Saab turbos, a '73 911 for 10 years, Bimmers, Etc. & now have a couple of 35yr old big Suzuki GS's.

I'm already prepared to immediately replace the timing belt on any one I buy, unless the present owner can prove it's been done in the last 35k miles or so. I'm taking the position that, without a receipt, it hasn't been done. One 2005 4.2 A6 seller already swore at me that his non-FSI 4.2 had a timing chain, because the dealer told him that three years ago when he bought the car.

I'm beginning to believe that most of these cars are on the market because the owners do not want to spend anymore on their maintenance. So, are there any other "hidden" perculiarities that I might not pick up on? Obviously, I don't want anything that's had an overheating history, etc.

I just think these cars offer loads of performance for the money &, with my love of good machinery, they should be a pure intellectual pleasure to work on.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
These years & model look like a good buy, for the money. The ones that I'm looking at are $5500-6500, with 125-145K miles.

I'm "semi-retired" from engineering & typically do all my own maintenamce, repairs & updates.

I've had a few Saab turbos, a '73 911 for 10 years, Bimmers, Etc. & now have a couple of 35yr old big Suzuki GS's.

I'm already prepared to immediately replace the timing belt on any one I buy, unless the present owner can prove it's been done in the last 35k miles or so. I'm taking the position that, without a receipt, it hasn't been done. One 2005 4.2 A6 seller already swore at me that his non-FSI 4.2 had a timing chain, because the dealer told him that three years ago when he bought the car.

I'm beginning to believe that most of these cars are on the market because the owners do not want to spend anymore on their maintenance. So, are there any other "hidden" perculiarities that I might not pick up on? Obviously, I don't want anything that's had an overheating history, etc.

I just think these cars offer loads of performance for the money &, with my love of good machinery, they should be a pure intellectual pleasure to work on.
Hi Larry,

Welcome to AW and potential C6 4.2 ownership. I have a 06 A6 4.2 and love my car, I'm OCD about maintenance and have done a lot to it to improve it from maintenance, asthetic and driveability perspectives. As you mentioned, there certainly are cheap A6s for sale, but IMHO buying a cheap A6 with issues is buying someone elses headache. As many have said before me, you buy the owner even more so than the vehicle. So, be careful when it's cheap and doesn't have the background to support something.

BTW, good luck changing the timing belt...since there is none. Our cars come with a timing chain and although there is the chance the chain stretches (slim), the more common issue is the tensioners and even less so the guides.

Read the sticky at the top and use the search...there's a LOT that can go wrong, but it's no different from any other car. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa

It could have a chain after reading this have a look. I have a 2007 3.2 L Quattro, But i have had no issues with the chain i have 115 K miles on the car i have yet to change the Tranny fluid because of the costs but it is on my list as a preventative maintenance. 4.2 are known for the high pressure pump failure that is me going off the top of my head... Hope that helps
Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After my original posting, I realized that I had it backwards. The 4.2 FSI has the belt & the 2005-7 4.2 C6 does have the chain. I apologize for my confusion. & thank you for your patient, informative response.

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi Larry,

Welcome to AW and potential C6 4.2 ownership. I have a 06 A6 4.2 and love my car, I'm OCD about maintenance and have done a lot to it to improve it from maintenance, asthetic and driveability perspectives. As you mentioned, there certainly are cheap A6s for sale, but IMHO buying a cheap A6 with issues is buying someone elses headache. As many have said before me, you buy the owner even more so than the vehicle. So, be careful when it's cheap and doesn't have the background to support something.

BTW, good luck changing the timing belt...since there is none. Our cars come with a timing chain and although there is the chance the chain stretches (slim), the more common issue is the tensioners and even less so the guides.

Read the sticky at the top and use the search...there's a LOT that can go wrong, but it's no different from any other car. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

The 4.2 Fsi also has a timing chain. In fact, every C6 sold in America has a timing chain.