A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

BR: What parameters need to observe when check timing on VCDS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BR: What parameters need to observe when check timing on VCDS?

Hi guys,

my car is a mess various issues.

The timing was done, and i want to check if is correct. I went to group 91, 92 and 93 on Engine Module, to measure timing, but i don't know which values need to check and has to be to the timing be correct.

My car is a A6 C6 4.2 Quattro, (BNK engine, same as BAT engine).

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2018, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

To check the intake and exhaust camshaft alignment, you check Measuring Block 93. You then would add together the intake and exhaust displayed values for Bank 1, and do the same for Bank 2. If the total exceeds about 7 degrees for either bank, then the timing is off. I assume that when you say "The timing was done.", you had the upper chain tensioners replaced, correct?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
To check the intake and exhaust camshaft alignment, you check Measuring Block 93. You then would add together the intake and exhaust displayed values for Bank 1, and do the same for Bank 2. If the total exceeds about 7 degrees for either bank, then the timing is off. I assume that when you say "The timing was done.", you had the upper chain tensioners replaced, correct?
Exactly, i had change the upper right tensioner, the left was ok. The right side was changed the two guides, the tensioner and the camshaft adjuster. The lower guide was also changed.

I've made a video with the measure, but only the first column (rpm) works, the other data don't change.

Also, the 93 block has nothing, so i go to the 94 block to measure.

The link to video: https://youtu.be/UZwiQ1y5a9M

To complete, i've two fault codes G163 and G40 sensors, i guess the blocks 91 and 92 don't work because of these sensors. I will buy those to confirm that.

Sorry for the bad english guys.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I read this thread and it made me wonder how my car was doing with this issue. I got out my handy dandy Xtool Vag401 (I don't have VCDS so this is the best I can do). I have no idea how to read this data. I used block 93 and it gave me several sets of numbers. Of note, I see that the lower set of values that say "Adjustment Bank 1" and "Adjustment Bank 2" and has (act.) beside them. Not sure if the "act." means.

But there is a higher set of values as well. I read here and on another thread that if you are at 7 when you combine either both bank 1's or both bank 2's that you are in trouble. But I also read that if you are close to 5 that you should start getting concerned. If you add the higher numbers together for mine, I am slightly above 5 sometimes.

Can someone please make sense of these readings for me? The engine was running and the numbers kept changing so I just kept taking screenshots. Thank you.

Also, is there a way to prevent this from getting any worse?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This sentence posted at the bottom of my pictures so I want to make sure it is not overlooked, as it is probably the most important part of my post. LOL.

Is there a way to prevent this from getting any worse?

Also, my car is a 2006 A6 3.2 quattro.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by akingzkid
This sentence posted at the bottom of my pictures so I want to make sure it is not overlooked, as it is probably the most important part of my post. LOL.

Is there a way to prevent this from getting any worse?

Also, my car is a 2006 A6 3.2 quattro.

Thanks.
Anyone want to help out please? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi, personally I think those are great numbers. You're between 2.2 and 2.6 on both intake and exhaust on both banks. No problem at all!

This oft-repeated theory that you should add together the input and exhaust readings seems to have spread from a single post someone made early on in the 3.2 tensioner replacement thread and it was never backed up with any evidence or explanation as to why it would be the case. In the absence of that I interpret the audi guidance as meaning that BOTH the intake and exhaust phase variance should be under 8.0 kW, but not the combined figure. Of course in your case even adding them together gets you nowhere close to 8.0 (where did you get 5.0 from?). In short, don't worry.

As for for how to stop the numbers getting worse, regular oil changes seems to be key.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sverige,
Hmmmmmm.........interesting. When you say "BOTH the intake and exhaust phase variance should be under 8.0 and not the combined figure", that confused me. What exactly do you mean? Are you saying that if I add the intakes together and then add the exhausts together, that I would then look at the difference between those two values? Example, adding the intakes together would get me 5.25 in one of my screen captures and adding the exhausts together would get me 4.87 in one of my screen captures. Would I then subtract 4.87 from 5.25 to get .38 of variance? Is that what you are saying? Or are you saying to just look at the values of the reading individually as opposed to adding them together?

I got the range of 5.0 to 8.0 from different posts on this site. Actually A6Gary (who has close to 6,000 posts on this site) said above, "You then would add together the intake and exhaust displayed values for Bank 1, and do the same for Bank 2. If the total exceeds about 7 degrees for either bank, then the timing is off". I would tend to believe what someone with that much experience says. Not that I am discounting your opinion.....just stating the obvious.

I am still also wondering what the lower values "Adjustment Bank 1" and "Adjustment Bank 2" that has (act.) beside them mean.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm saying there's no justification in adding together numbers, only the 8 degree limit published by Audi in their service documents applies to any of the individual numbers. All need to be below 8 but adding them together is not called for.

No offence taken if you want to believe someone else, but maybe worth asking them what they base their assertion on, as I've seen this theory of adding together intake and exhaust numbers questioned on here before and there was no answer given. Also why are they quoting different numbers to audi would be a good one...

But it's your car, you get to take the decisions. I'm no expert!
The following users liked this post:
vargaan89 (12-02-2020)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sverige
I'm saying there's no justification in adding together numbers, only the 8 degree limit published by Audi in their service documents applies to any of the individual numbers. All need to be below 8 but adding them together is not called for.

No offence taken if you want to believe someone else, but maybe worth asking them what they base their assertion on, as I've seen this theory of adding together intake and exhaust numbers questioned on here before and there was no answer given. Also why are they quoting different numbers to audi would be a good one...

But it's your car, you get to take the decisions. I'm no expert!
Hi, and for my 4.2? It's the same thing? I can't find anything on the web.

Quick Reply: BR: What parameters need to observe when check timing on VCDS?