A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Wheel touch up paint color

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Wheel touch up paint color

What color spray paint would I buy to repaint these the same color? These are the original rims on my 2006 A6.

Also, what brand of rattle can would you recommend? I don’t need anything fancy. Just something inexpensive that is the same color.

Also, anyone have a brand of inexpensive can clear coat spray that they have used that they would recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited by akingzkid; 01-20-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: upload picture
Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For the life of me I can't get my picture to upload!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Finally got it to upload.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
What color spray paint would I buy to repaint these the same color? These are the original rims on my 2006 A6.

Also, what brand of rattle can would you recommend? I don’t need anything fancy. Just something inexpensive that is the same color.

Also, anyone have a brand of inexpensive can clear coat spray that they have used that they would recommend?

Thanks.
The rims have clear coat. Not sure if it would look the same after you spray them from the can. Closest you can do is to repair scratches by spraing paint into a cup and the painting over the scratches with tiny brush.

Frankly, I would leave the rims alone. Your life qality will not change where you paint them or not. Spent this time to read a book instead.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Aking, starting in with cans of spray paint may lead to a less than desirable finish...pun intended.

Alternate: I've got the body color Audi Brilliant Silver touch up paint stick and that's been a pretty good match on our OE wheels. Your repair looks very minor and the touch up paint stick is quik 'n' easy. Take the wheel off, lay it down, clean up the areas of concern and lay down some wet paint. Let it cure.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
The rims have clear coat. Not sure if it would look the same after you spray them from the can. Closest you can do is to repair scratches by spraing paint into a cup and the painting over the scratches with tiny brush.

Frankly, I would leave the rims alone. Your life qality will not change where you paint them or not. Spent this time to read a book instead.
Beep-Beep,
You made me chuckle. Read a book. That's funny. Fixing on this car is my hobby. I prefer that over reading a book. LOL.

Yes, I understand that there is a clear coat on them. I had planned to scuff the clear coat off, paint them and then respray the clear coat on. I may not do it though.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Aking, starting in with cans of spray paint may lead to a less than desirable finish...pun intended.

Alternate: I've got the body color Audi Brilliant Silver touch up paint stick and that's been a pretty good match on our OE wheels. Your repair looks very minor and the touch up paint stick is quik 'n' easy. Take the wheel off, lay it down, clean up the areas of concern and lay down some wet paint. Let it cure.
Nice pun. I see what you did there.

I have seen tons of youtube videos of guys scuffing the rims, spraying them with a can and then spraying clear coat from a can. Not to say that my results would be as good though. LOL.

I didn't post that rim to show the damage. I randomly took a picture of one of my rims just to show the color. That rim may be the best looking one of the 4. I need to do something because I used 2000 grit sandpaper and scuffed my rims pretty badly (removed quite a bit of the clear coat) when I was sanding to remove the caked on black chunks of brake dust that built up over the years from the previous owner. I ended up with all rims having numerous areas with the clear coat removed. I thought I would be able to put wax or Maguire's wheel polish on it to buff it back to a shine but that didn't work. It does bring the shine back but only until I go through the car wash and then all of the polish is removed and the rims look terrible (scuffed all over) again. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have known that if I was removing the clear coat that nothing would fix that other than more clear coat.

So, if nothing else I may touch up the areas where paint is missing, scuff the entire rim and spray some more clear coat on the entire rim. I will practice on the spare first though. It has a ton of curb rash on it and can never be used for anything other than to get me to a tire shop if I get a flat. LOL.

My paint code is LY7W. Are you saying that the Brilliant Silver car paint color matches the rim color? I that what my color is based on the LY7W code?

Thanks.

Last edited by akingzkid; 01-25-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 01-27-2019, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Aking, that paint code sounds like the correct one. You'd only use this on minor touch-ups.

Plan B: if the other wheels show more extensive damage, maybe you do need paint. WURTH has a "German" wheel paint. Maybe buy a can to make sure it's not going to be too bright.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Aking, that paint code sounds like the correct one. You'd only use this on minor touch-ups.

Plan B: if the other wheels show more extensive damage, maybe you do need paint. WURTH has a "German" wheel paint. Maybe buy a can to make sure it's not going to be too bright.

It looks like that is used to paint the tires (not the rims). It is good for the rims too? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's good for the rim, it's good for the entire wheel. Yes, their picture is a bit strange.

"13.5 oz. Wurth Silver Wheel Spray Paint

Wurth Silver Wheel Paint is used to refinish dull or scuffed wheels. The fine mist spray goes on evenly and matches all German-made wheels. If your vehicle is not German-made, test an inconspicuous area before doing touch-ups on the outer face of your wheel. If your wheels all need total refinishing, this durable silver paint will work for any wheels. Remove your wheel and clean it thoroughly before spraying it with Silver Lacquer Paint."

Quick Reply: Wheel touch up paint color