A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Where the engine oil goes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where the engine oil goes? update new symptom?

Yesterday 6/29th before I went to work I check the oil on cold engine which was resting overnight and for my surprise the oil was over max on the dipstick. Than I start the engine and the oil was gone, dry dipstick again and also I check from the top with flashlight but I cant see no reflection on the belly pan.

HI all.

I have a "little" problem and i`m a "little" concern. i do have 2006 Audi a6 4.2 for 6 years nothing major till now (i think). Im another DIY so when it comes to routine maintenance im not afraid to get my hands dirty. So let me jump straight to the problem.

Last Oil change was performed on Jan 27 2013 also was 74300 and it was considered 75K. Oem oil Filter and Mobil one extended performance 5w-30.

FF to present day actually yesterday my family and i went to Poconos to visit friends about 100 miles one way? so about 15 mil to the destination engine oil light came ON. found local walmart and bought the same oil, topped around 1 qt and it was all good.
Today Memorial day so we were hitting on BBQ in the in-laws house. I said to my self let me check the oil. pUll the dip stick out and it was dry no oil.the car is running but still the stick is dry and no light (oil min). topped another 2 qt went to middle of the stick and is good again. I made round trip today roughly 40 miles.got home i check the oil and its gone. it shows 1/4 of the orange bottom plastic on the dip stick.

And now what.

right now i have 76400 mi and No smell,no smoke no drip of oil and the antifreeze is on level.

what else is there to be check?
Any ideas pls Shoot

Thanks

Last edited by IMD; 05-30-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: New Symptom
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I'd do is remove the belly cover and see if you find oil that way. Cars with belly cover's are notorious for hiding leaks.
Otherwise, thats extremely high oil consumption and I'd take it in to get taken a look at.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IMD
HI all.

I have a "little" problem and i`m a "little" concern. i do have 2006 Audi a6 4.2 for 6 years nothing major till now (i think). Im another DIY so when it comes to routine maintenance im not afraid to get my hands dirty. So let me jump straight to the problem.

Last Oil change was performed on Jan 27 2013 also was 74300 and it was considered 75K. Oem oil Filter and Mobil one extended performance 5w-30.

FF to present day actually yesterday my family and i went to Poconos to visit friends about 100 miles one way? so about 15 mil to the destination engine oil light came ON. found local walmart and bought the same oil, topped around 1 qt and it was all good.
Today Memorial day so we were hitting on BBQ in the in-laws house. I said to my self let me check the oil. pUll the dip stick out and it was dry no oil.the car is running but still the stick is dry and no light (oil min). topped another 2 qt went to middle of the stick and is good again. I made round trip today roughly 40 miles.got home i check the oil and its gone. it shows 1/4 of the orange bottom plastic on the dip stick.

And now what.

right now i have 76400 mi and No smell,no smoke no drip of oil and the antifreeze is on level.

what else is there to be check?
Any ideas pls Shoot

Thanks
I assume that you are turning the engine off and giving the oil chance to make it's way back into the sump before checking the level.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
First thing I'd do is remove the belly cover and see if you find oil that way. Cars with belly cover's are notorious for hiding leaks.
Otherwise, thats extremely high oil consumption and I'd take it in to get taken a look at.
Gotta second the above. My belly pan was hiding the oil leaks from the valve covers and timing chain covers, which I'm in the process of resolving (along with tensioners and guides...big job!)

It's amazing how much oily muck those belly pans will hide!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by IMD
Oem oil Filter and Mobil one extended performance 5w-30.

pUll the dip stick out and it was dry no oil.the car is running but still the stick is dry and no light (oil min).

Does the oil you are using meet the engine mfr's minimum viscosity spec?

Can you check the engine oil level when the engine is running?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the valve covers and timing chain covers are leaking. Since the oil is thin enough it leaks with the heat and pressure of the engine.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Thank you all. Ill have to wait for the weekend. I can't do any thing now. I will keep u guys posted.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Default Update new symptom?

Yesterday 6/29th before I went to work I check the oil on cold engine which was resting overnight and for my surprise the oil was over max on the dipstick. Than I start the engine and the oil was gone, dry dipstick again and also I check from the top with flashlight but I cant see no reflection on the belly pan.*
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Can you check the engine oil level when the engine is running?

Originally Posted by IMD

Than I start the engine and the oil was gone, dry dipstick again..
IMD, is your car fitted with a dry sump oiling system?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I suggest you take the time and remove the belly pan to be 100% certain you are not in fact leaking. Furthermore, having too much oil in your system is also a bad thing, so you need to determine this for certain.

Quick Reply: Where the engine oil goes?