A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Whits end without a local vag com, random cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whits end without a local vag com, random cylinder misfire

Hello everyone, I'll lead to the specifics and then detail,
car: 2006 Audi A6 3.2l quattro
mileage: 260,000 ish
vin: WAUDG74F05N093713
problem: random cylinder misfire code, hard start after first start, after first start it takes pedal to start, runs very rough, engine rocks, from a mechanic standpoint I strongly believe no valves have interfered, and that the timing is still correct.
parts added: new e3 spark plugs, new intermotor coil plugs, new cylinder gaskets.
detail: please bear with me, my late coworker/friend was driving it about 6 months ago to work, cruise was on 70, it lost power and throttle response, he pulled it to the side of the road, had it towed. I bought it for a memento of my friend, I added the ignition parts, same symptoms, I get numerical cylinder misfires followed by the random cylinder misfire code, I do not have access to a vag com, only a code and basic 112 data scanner. I believe it may possibly be a hpfp failure, but this motor is brand new to me so I have been reading forum post after forum post, but nothing matches exactly. Please help me, I would really love to be able to solve this, from a simple fix to worst case scenario of an engine replacement, this car has sentimental value.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you get EPC light on dash? If yes it may be the high pressure fuel pump or clogged fuel filter

Clean the MAP sensor and check if it's good (3.2 does not have MAF instead it measures intake pressure and temp) Here is a thread describing on where the MAP is and how to troubleshoot:
MAP sensor troubleshooting Post #9 & #11. Here is ETKA: 3.2 Intake Manifold Item #12

Lastly does your engine make loud rattling noises when started cold? If yes then you may have broken guide rails on the timing chain. Here is ETKA diagram with part #s:
Camshaft Timing Chain Slide Rail Item #23 & #27
Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey, was finally able to get my password reset, thank you for the response, I cleaned the map, I got my timing tool kit in this week, but it's raining so havent verified the timing yet, I also ordered a elm327 and car gauge pro, as well as the torque pro app, I'll try to attach the screen shots, the car will idle very roughly now, but after first start it doesnt want to start without apply the gas pedal. Any input is greatly appreciated. It does not rattle at start up.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

https://youtu.be/WkFVrbf0RaI
this is a link of a 12 second video I took of it running, I hope this helps as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Potentially bad MAP sensor

Here's post from VWvortex on testing MAP

P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0107 Copyright OBD-Codes.com

MAP sensor #12

Ross-Tech 16491/P0107

Also check for sludge. Look at this thread: Constant Misfire in Cylinder #3 after Warmup

Last edited by haloguy628; 07-21-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you replace the sensor? Seems to me that is the key to all your issues as reading the codes, I would think the sensor has failed. or you have a wiring issue between the sensor and the ECU. But I would replace that sensor, if the problem remains, then start looking elsewhere. If the sensor has been replaced, is the connector on properly and not backwards? Sometimes those connectors get broken and it will allow you to plug them in reverse, someone I knew did that once with a fuel pressure sensor.

If the ECU does not know how much air the cylinder is getting it will retard the fuel to cut the power to the engine. You will end up with misfires because of this.

Last edited by terak0306; 07-22-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by terak0306
Worse case, find someone with the exact same car and swap ECUs. Because if the sensors are good, the wires are good, then it just leaves the computer to blame.
You can't easily replace the ECM in the C6 A6. It is equipped with the Immobilizer 4 system that requires special access using VAG proprietary software to reprogram the "new" ECM so it communicates with the instrument cluster and immobilizer modules.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all for your replies, I'm sorry the reply intervals are so far apart, I work out of town, so I only get to work on it during Saturdays and sometimes only sundays, but I have been thinking about all possibilities and i do know that on the live data my ambient outside air was reading -40, while my intake temp was reading near the correct outside temp, i am not for sure if that would affect the fuel tables or not. Also the two sensors that go through the valve covers at the back of the head, they are vertical cylinders with plugs on top, my passenger side looks greasy, I'm not for sure what those two sensors are, are they relevant to my car? I also checked the map sensor harness for a charged wire, but the wires look good.i have not changed the map yet, on the live data I was reading 14.2xxx on the value with minimal change through the rough idle.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I replaced the map, it is "better" but still the same problem. First time I jump start it, starts without depressing the throttle pedal, and has a misfire, then the idle gets rough amd it dies, after it does you have to depress the throttle pedal to get it to start, and it runs really rough. I'll upload my scan tool results.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer