A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Winter tires - to do or not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires - to do or not to do?

To those of you living in areas with regular snow through the winter - such as here in New Jersey - what do people think about the need or value in replacing all-seasons with dedicated winter boots?

Naturally Tire Rack does its best to sell winter tires. Last winter I kept my A6 3.0T with all seasons and had no real issues to report. What do you think?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It depends on the harshness of the winter and your requirement to drive in the ice and snow. Many people "get by" with FWD or RWD only vehiclaes and worn all-season tires. Also the roads tend to get plowed and salted quickley between storms. That being said I have had performance winter tires on my Audis for 10 years now. It started with the need for an alternative to summer-only tires in the winter and now I feel it is cheap insurance for winter driving. Now with the A6 the winter tires outperform the standard no-seasons in all conditions.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I live in the NYC area and when I switched to dedicated tires the real spirit of the car was released. With winter tires the car is an absolute beast and feels like it could drive up a ski jump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxylbbjBl4

I would never go back to No Season tires.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on your car. With my S6, there is no way it goes in snow with summer tires I use Dunlop Winter Sport 235/45 R18. I suspect you might get away without changing in an A6. Does it come with summer tires as the S6 does?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm in NJ, and had no problems at all with the Michelin all-seasons on my A6 for the past 2 winters.
On the S6, i just put on Conti DWS, which should outperform the Michelins in wintry conditions.
Just drive smart.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Winter tires are safer overall in the winter when there is snow or ice on the road. People always think of getting stuck in snow. I agree with All season getting you free or out of snow when needed but have you considered the stopping and grip while turning in snow/ice? You have to consider the safety factor as well as the inconvenience of getting stuck.

I purchased OEM 18" wheels from another member with intentions of putting winter tires on them. I probably will be spending $1100 for winter tires alone but I still see a value since one accident can easily pay for itself. Most people only calculate the deductable but the overall cost of an accident may be reflected in resale since it may show up in the carfax or other grimlins that come afterwards out of your pocket. Avoiding accidents is a better option.

Last thing to consider is your current tires will be in storage while the winter tires are in use therefore you are prolonging the life of them at the same time.

Factor everything in and I vote for Winter tires.

Con - Winter tire rubber will wear much faster in warm climates. Most people put winter tires on when the temperature does not go above 40 degrees.

FYI - One of the reasons why winter tires have more grip is the rubber compounds remains softer in cold temeratures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm voting for the winter tires too, running dedicated snows on 18's.

When I put the Blizzaks on, the car stops and goes through very serious snow and ice.
And in the crowded metropolitan area, they could give you an edge in getting out of a situation caused by somebody else.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fe342185
Winter tires are safer overall in the winter when there is snow or ice on the road. People always think of getting stuck in snow. I agree with All season getting you free or out of snow when needed but have you considered the stopping and grip while turning in snow/ice? You have to consider the safety factor as well as the inconvenience of getting stuck.

I purchased OEM 18" wheels from another member with intentions of putting winter tires on them. I probably will be spending $1100 for winter tires alone but I still see a value since one accident can easily pay for itself. Most people only calculate the deductable but the overall cost of an accident may be reflected in resale since it may show up in the carfax or other grimlins that come afterwards out of your pocket. Avoiding accidents is a better option.

Last thing to consider is your current tires will be in storage while the winter tires are in use therefore you are prolonging the life of them at the same time.

Factor everything in and I vote for Winter tires.

Con - Winter tire rubber will wear much faster in warm climates. Most people put winter tires on when the temperature does not go above 40 degrees.

FYI - One of the reasons why winter tires have more grip is the rubber compounds remains softer in cold temeratures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
+1

If you have never tried quattro with four snow tires before, you're in for a real treat. You can go from "getting by" to actually enjoying the drive.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...nter/index.jsp
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Winter tires can keep its software in cold temp while the other will harder when temp drops. Winter tire accelerate fast and brake shorter than the other tires, thus it handles better.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A lot of good info allready presented. If we were on the C5 thread I'd have to disagree a little and make my case for all-seasons. Since I think thier case is based in thier cost savings I don't think it applies here. Anyone who can afford a C6 can afford the extra cost of seperate winter and summer wheels and tires. Therefore I agree with what others have said.

If money was an object though, you's have to think about the $500-3,000 the second set of wheels sets you back, as well as the fact that the dedicated winter and summer tires cost more than all-seasons every time you replace them.

I think the video that fe342185 sheds light, but is also misleading. First of I have a sneaking suspicion that they put in ringers, the best Winter tire versus below average Summer and AllSeasons. I'd like to see those tests done with Continental DWS and see how close they are. Secondly they only focus on ice traction, and not snow which is a much larger and more important factor. I rarely touch glare ice, and when I do it's usually only one tire at a time, not all four.

If you look at these videos

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=48&tab=winter
and
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=49&tab=winter

You will see that the Continental DWS don't give up much performance at all to the dedicated winters, and in my opinion give up very-very little to my old Eagle F1 GSD3's in the summer.

Quick Reply: Winter tires - to do or not to do?