A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2014 A7 Prestige Speaker Buzzing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A7 Prestige Speaker Buzzing Issue

Posting this picture of my car just because it’s awesome.

I have a 2014 A7 Prestige with Bose speakers. I’ve noticed that there’s a buzzing sound with some mid range to high range musical crescendos, as well as when listening to audio books and podcasts. The service department at the dealership says that they don’t see any codes coming up, but frankly they’ve proven to me time and again to not know what they’re talking about. Any ideas what I should do? It’s really annoying and I’d like to get it fixed.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

A sound quality issue is subjective and will not throw a code, that is reserved for hard failures that can be defined and measured. Do you have it from all speakers, from some or only one?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It’s hard to be sure, but I think it’s only one. That is, the speaker in the dash.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MattyJack
It’s hard to be sure, but I think it’s only one. That is, the speaker in the dash.
If it's only one, that is a speaker issue and need to get it replaced. If it is coming from multiple speakers that would be an amplifier issue.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
If it's only one, that is a speaker issue and need to get it replaced. If it is coming from multiple speakers that would be an amplifier issue.
Very helpful, thank you! Do you think I should try to do it myself? Is there any video guidance you know of? If not, do you think I should go third party sound business, or back to the dealer service department that I don't really trust?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MattyJack
Very helpful, thank you! Do you think I should try to do it myself? Is there any video guidance you know of? If not, do you think I should go third party sound business, or back to the dealer service department that I don't really trust?
I can't really answer that, since I don't know you and/or your capabilities and experience. Replacing a speaker is a very simple job. Getting to the speaker (depending on its location) is a different story, which involves removing (and reattaching) trim pieces, panels, brackets etc.

The problem you need to consider is this:

An experienced independent third party car audio business will do a lot better job on the audio system. That is their specialty, that's all they do, but they may not have access to the Audi "tips and tricks".
An Audi authorized service center will have all the information and specialty tools to work on the car interior, but may not understand and/or appreciate your audio quality concerns.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I can't really answer that, since I don't know you and/or your capabilities and experience. Replacing a speaker is a very simple job. Getting to the speaker (depending on its location) is a different story, which involves removing (and reattaching) trim pieces, panels, brackets etc.

The problem you need to consider is this:

An experienced independent third party car audio business will do a lot better job on the audio system. That is their specialty, that's all they do, but they may not have access to the Audi "tips and tricks".
An Audi authorized service center will have all the information and specialty tools to work on the car interior, but may not understand and/or appreciate your audio quality concerns.

DIY if you have right speaker

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/buzzing-center-dash-speaker-2012-a6-bose-system-2902593/page2/
Old 09-05-2020, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Finally figured it out

I found someone good and took it to their shop. Turns out, the grill of the speaker was rattling. They did some great high quality dampening work and it’s perfect now. Not too expensive. Sooooooo happy to finally have this fixed.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

I was gonna say, that center dash speaker cover tends to rattle. Mine does as well but mostly on a blue tooth phone call. I just have not taken the time to pull up the speaker grill and add some felt dots into it