AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/)
-   -   2016 A7 P0087 Code (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/2016-a7-p0087-code-2980341/)

Rob Dennis 10-02-2019 07:38 PM

2016 A7 P0087 Code

New owner. 2016 A7, 42xxx miles. Purchased from Carmax last Friday.
Getting code
P0087 Fuel Rail System Pressure Too Low.
Took to Carmax shop, they said all checked out. Said gas appears to be bad. They reset to no light. Drive about 50 miles, light back on.
Any ideas?? I plan to take back to carmax Friday, Still under their 90 day/ 4000 mile warranty, so they are eating this once.

tuscani66 10-03-2019 07:02 PM

Odd, 087 means low rail pressure, so my guess would not be the quality of gas but the feed to it; I'd start by getting the fuel pressure tested (I don't remember the exact but roughly 58lbs I think).

Could be simple pressure bleeding or maybe the fuel pump is on its last legs. Does the car start quickly or takes about 8+ seconds? Take it to Audi to see if there is an additional 'internal' code that is not displayed on standard OBD2 readers.

Good luck, don't sweat too much, could be simple or there are plenty of other A7's (or the like) around that would better fit mechanically.

Rob Dennis 10-05-2019 02:18 PM

Took car back to car max. They ran tests and suspect the high pressure fuel pump. They are now sending car to Audi before they have to bite the bullet on this repair.

Rob Dennis 10-05-2019 02:22 PM

Sorry, i didn't answer your question.. the car starts quickly. No excessive engine turnover to start. I can reset the light, bit when it returns, I can feel the engine stumble.

It's at Audi now. We see how it goes.

Rob Dennis 10-11-2019 07:53 PM

Update. Audi said could see fluctuation on fuel pressure. They replaced the in tank fuel pump. I pick up. Light comes on just before I get home. About 30 miles. I take back yesterday morning. Get a call this morning that now they gonna replace high pressure pump. Car will be there until next Friday.
Why would any of these parts start to fail with less than 50k miles ??

Rob Dennis 10-18-2019 04:05 PM

Got car back today. Audi replaced HPFP. Light not on.
Hopefully it's fixed.

orangeokie 10-21-2019 02:43 PM

Let us know if you continue to have problems. Hopefully it is a permanent fix.

tuscani66 10-22-2019 05:05 PM

Hope its fixed, please don't feel pressured to keep this one if it bothers you inside, there are plenty out there... but if it was all replaced and not out of your pocket and you feel comfortable - then its a win.

As far as your concern on mileage, there are a few factors:
1. dumb luck
2. MFR had a bad batch
3. Maybe the previous owner ran out of gas a couple of time, keep in mind the fuel pumps are cooled by fuel in tank, run too low and the pumps run hot
4. other issues that Audi is not divulging.

Rob Dennis 11-13-2019 12:42 AM

Well, those repairs lasted less than a month. Last night car lost all engine power. No CEL. I coast to side of road, call roll back to come get it. Dropped at carmax. It acted as if I were out of gas. All lights work, engine turns over, will not fire. Fuel gauge shows little more than 1/4 tank of gas.

New fuel pump dead again?? Any ideas??

igorek24 11-14-2019 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Dennis (Post 25386103)
Well, those repairs lasted less than a month. Last night car lost all engine power. No CEL. I coast to side of road, call roll back to come get it. Dropped at carmax. It acted as if I were out of gas. All lights work, engine turns over, will not fire. Fuel gauge shows little more than 1/4 tank of gas.

New fuel pump dead again?? Any ideas??

I have an idea, take it back and tell them to take the car back. If not, I can give you a phone # for a decent lemon lawyer that I've used in the past (when I lemoned my wife's Q5 2.0T) to get every single penny back and it wouldn't cost you a dime. It shouldn't be happening with a car with that mileage and I think there is got to be a history for that car.