A7, alloy upgrade, should it get lowered or not? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A7 / S7 / RS 7 > A7
Reload this Page > A7, alloy upgrade, should it get lowered or not?
Notices
A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7, alloy upgrade, should it get lowered or not?

Old 08-12-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A7, alloy upgrade, should it get lowered or not?

Hey everyone!
So I have a stock 12 plate A7 S-line, love the car to bits, aside from 2 thinks. I really am not a fan of the silver grill, and the alloys I have. I can only do one at a time, and still not for a while yet so I want to plan my steps.
I think the black grill would look silly with my current alloys, but I think generally, non-stock alloys look silly on a car if it hasn't been lowered.

So, I'm thinking to move forward like so:
1. Lower the car
2. Get bigger alloys
3. Change the grill

My question is, if I go straight to step 2, bigger alloys with low profile tyres, will the car still need to be lowered? I think the stock is 19", thinking to go 21 or 22". If so, what do I need to know about lowering? Based in the UK.

I really am a novice to this, first car was a Yaris, I realise the a7 is a lot more prestige, I want to make these changes without "boying" the car out too much. Will still like the subtle but classy and mean look.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
A7, alloy upgrade, should it get lowered or not?-img_5469.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would advise against lowering the vehicle. That's pretty ghetto for a premium car like this. Its aerodynamics were considered at current height for multiple things, including air cooling intakes and passive air cooling. If you lower the car, you change the airflow ratio below the car, potentially adding mechanical issues down the road. The Audi engineers continue to surprise me with all of the nuanced things they think of that a driver never would. They're obsessed, and I really appreciate that about them.

Wheels...sure. 21" or 22" introduces risk to the wheels though, and it will be a rougher ride. Typical roads won't be an issue, but you'll probably get frustrated by that random moment that you smack a road joint too fast, or a pothole, etc. That may mean a wheel replacement, or tire replacement...and on an AWD, that means a 4-tire replacement.

Grill, yes, I've been thinking of swapping out the grill to the RS7 honeycomb. The metallic horizontal lines grill isn't actually metal - it's just a chrome paint that bubbles and peels over time. I think the grill was the one thing the engineers went cheap on, and they shouldn't have.

One fun and simple upgrade I did was the ground lighting under the doors when you open them. I changed them out with a logo LED rather than the lights that came in it. It was super simple, and added an interesting identity to the car at night. Now it shines a logo on the ground when the door is open.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Made similar mods - first wheels then grill and logo led too

I recommend not lowering it and going with a more aggressive wheel and tire set-up. Here's my look...
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^You need to lower your car, it doesnt look good raised like that, maybe an 1". For the OP if your car came with Sport Suspension which it looks like it did then go with a nice set of 20" wheels or even 21".
Old Today, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lx4life View Post
^^You need to lower your car, it doesnt look good raised like that, maybe an 1". For the OP if your car came with Sport Suspension which it looks like it did then go with a nice set of 20" wheels or even 21".
Out of the replies so far I think we're currently on the same wavelength. For the poster above, I appreciate the pictures, I like your car, but I would agree that if it was a bit lower it would complete to look.

I've noticed a black edition in the showroom that had 21" rota wheels, I'm not sure if black edition has lower suspension then the S-Line or not, but the wheels didn't look out of place on there, the ride height looked good too.

Anybody know if they have the same suspension?

Search this Thread