A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Not sure if this is correct but reading some other posts where the battery was replaced, if the code is not entered, after some driving time, the car's system will eventually recognize the new battery and reset accordingly.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TJBOST
Any advice on storing 2014 A7 for summer in garage in Florida?
The Audi C7 has a Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery that will hold a full charge for 12 months at 95*F and 6 months at 113*F. Fully charge it and disconnect the negative cable to prevent parasitic losses. You can hook it to a battery tender if you wish but that's probably not necessary.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

My 2014 A7 has summer tires so it's garaged during the winter in NJ. It sits from November till March. When I start it in March, I have to put the key up to the spot on the dashboard to get it recognized to start. Other than that, no issues.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced the original battery in my 2012 A7. Bought a Duralast H9-DLG from Autozone. $160. This is an exact replacement, same size, same shape, and all the same fittings. All the covers snap off the original battery and right back on this one.
Here are the steps:
Hook a battery charger set on 2 amps (low) to the ground and jumper posts located under the hood above the passenger side tire.
Open the back hatch and Removed the cover that fits over the spare tire.
Unscrew the large plastic screw that secures the spare in place and remove the spare.
Remove the tools and foam tool holder.
You now should be looking at the the spare tire mount and the battery under it.
Remove the 4 screws that hold the mount in place and remove the mount.
It is now time to disconnect the battery. REMEMBER THE TERMINALS AND CABLES ARE HOT.
Loosen and remove the negative cable and secure it off to the right of the battery compartment
I used a rubber glove for the next step.
The positive terminal has numerous cables attached to it. Do not loosen any of these connections.
The only connection that needs to be loosened is the clamp around the post on the battery. Loosen it and pull the connection straight up and off of the battery. All of the other connection come off together. DO NOT let this cable touch anything! Carefully slip all of the positive battery cables inside the rubber glove. I also wrapped a rag around it.
Remove the vent hose connected to the upper right side of the battery.
Remove the battery hold down screw located at the rear, base of the battery.
Lift the battery out of the car. It weights 65 lbs.
Installation is simply the reverse.
Notes:
Make sure the front bottom lip of the battery is secure under the front hold downs
Don’t forget to reattach the vent hose.
I used a little white lithium grease on the battery terminals.
I left the battery charger on for about 30 minutes, discounted the charger, and started the car.
No warning lights a all of the memory still in place.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DO NOT PUT GREASE ON BATTERY TERMINALS

Originally Posted by vichang4

I used a little white lithium grease on the battery terminals.
Good write up but DO NOT, I repeat: DO NOT use grease on battery terminals. In fact, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE TERMINALS. Grease (including white lithium) is a lubricant and does not react well with lead, which is what the terminals are made of, and is bad for electrical connections. The grease will permeate the connection between the clamp and terminal - and do funky things as it gets older. Grease will cause electrical problems. REMOVE THE GREASE. In our cars, with batteries that are (1) vented to the outside (2) sealed and (3) protected from all the elements, NOTHING is needed on the terminals, NOTHING. Didn't the terminals look perfect when you took out the old battery? After 6 years? When I recently changed the battery on my wife's 2011 A6, the old battery, terminal and cables looked brand new. If you feel a great compulsion to put something on the terminals, there are purpose made terminal sprays that counteract acid (which is not an issue in our sealed batteries), and will not cause electrical conductivity problems. Or I have simply used a shot of pure silicone spray. Grease should NEVER be near a battery or any electrical terminal.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You are correct. The battery was seven years old and looked brand new. I’ll have to open it up and clean the grease off. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Good write up but DO NOT, I repeat: DO NOT use grease on battery terminals. In fact, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE TERMINALS. Grease (including white lithium) is a lubricant and does not react well with lead, which is what the terminals are made of, and is bad for electrical connections. The grease will permeate the connection between the clamp and terminal - and do funky things as it gets older. Grease will cause electrical problems. REMOVE THE GREASE. In our cars, with batteries that are (1) vented to the outside (2) sealed and (3) protected from all the elements, NOTHING is needed on the terminals, NOTHING. Didn't the terminals look perfect when you took out the old battery? After 6 years? When I recently changed the battery on my wife's 2011 A6, the old battery, terminal and cables looked brand new. If you feel a great compulsion to put something on the terminals, there are purpose made terminal sprays that counteract acid (which is not an issue in our sealed batteries), and will not cause electrical conductivity problems. Or I have simply used a shot of pure silicone spray. Grease should NEVER be near a battery or any electrical terminal.
For the 1st time ever I used grease that Autozone gives out on my terminals and when I opened my hood they were corroded badly and the grease had melted all over my battery. This is after it won't start or hold a charge.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default When do I need to replace my car battery?

My 2013 A7 is being serviced by an Audi dealer and they said my battery is testing low (63%). Cost to replace/recode = $615. At what % are batteries replaced? FYI:

1. <55K miles & battery is 6 years old
2. After an accident in May, my car "sat" for 69 days without being driven
3. When I got my car back, everything related to the battery worked perfectly fine (e.g., no warning lights or trouble starting)
4. My car has been at the Audi dealer being serviced (for something else) and it most likely will have been sitting for 2 weeks when I finally take delivery of it
5. My work commute is about an hour roundtrip (75% highway/25% surface streets) three (3) days a week and I seldom drive on the weekends

That being said, do I "need" to replace my car battery immediately? If not, how much "life" do I have left in my battery before it's needs replacing? My plan was to replace it when I bring my car in at the next service interval in about 6-7 months.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJBOST
Any advice on storing 2014 A7 for summer in garage in Florida?

I always store German cars with a battery trickle charger attached, even if it is for just a week or two. Seems the German cars like the extra charge while they are sitting.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by shereitte

That being said, do I "need" to replace my car battery immediately?

My plan was to replace it when I bring my car in at the next service interval in about 6-7 months.
A battery reading 63% does not need to be replaced now. I doubt it will need to be replaced in 6 months.

Quick Reply: A7 Battery Replacement