A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Battery Replacement

Is this something that can be done or will codes that only audi can fix be lost when battery disconnected. Where exactly is the battery and is it easily replaced?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not sure about the codes. The Battery in my 2016 A7 is in the trunk - under the spare tire.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure about the codes through personal experience. However, I spoke to Clint at Bar Tuning here is Houston and he told me that there should be no issue with codes and that the process is pretty straight forward. On my 2012 the battery is located in the trunk under spare as well. On another note... why can I not find anything about battery replacement on any of the Audi forums or the net? It seems kind of weird...do A7 owners not do any of their own maintenance? Just wondering.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most batteries probably haven't needed replacing yet on the a7's. They are usually good for minimum 6-7 years
Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was told my my dealer that they would have to reset codes when replacing the battery on my 2012 A7. With the cost of battery and labour, they estimated the bill to be around $500! This seems a bit outrageous. As mentioned in this post, there is little in the owners manual referencing battery replacement. Has anyone else been told this by Audi dealers as well?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AltaGD
I was told my my dealer that they would have to reset codes when replacing the battery on my 2012 A7. With the cost of battery and labour, they estimated the bill to be around $500! This seems a bit outrageous. As mentioned in this post, there is little in the owners manual referencing battery replacement. Has anyone else been told this by Audi dealers as well?
There is probably full instructions in elsawin if you wanted to do it yourself
Old 03-11-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyboy
There is probably full instructions in elsawin if you wanted to do it yourself
I asked Hans, the owner of the local VW/Audi/Mercedes garage about this a while ago. He does the replacement by connecting a fully charged battery to the battery posts under the hood with a set of booster cables (the car is not running). He then disconnects the old battery in the trunk, installs and connects the new battery and disconnects the booster cable. That way the car does not power down and everything stays normal, no settings need to be done.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I asked Hans, the owner of the local VW/Audi/Mercedes garage about this a while ago. He does the replacement by connecting a fully charged battery to the battery posts under the hood with a set of booster cables (the car is not running). He then disconnects the old battery in the trunk, installs and connects the new battery and disconnects the booster cable. That way the car does not power down and everything stays normal, no settings need to be done.
This is true if the old battery was not at a weak enough condition that the car had to go into power conservation mode. Or, if it died while still connected in the car. It it did, the new battery will need to be recoded so the car would know that it got a new battery. Recoding is easy using a VCDS cable. Otherwise, it will still think that the old battery is in use and it will think that it still needs to be in power conservation mode.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had mine replaced a couple weeks ago...

Originally Posted by diddlyv
Is this something that can be done or will codes that only audi can fix be lost when battery disconnected. Where exactly is the battery and is it easily replaced?
300.00 at the dealer, I think there was some re-coding along with this.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any advice on storing 2014 A7 for summer in garage in Florida?

Quick Reply: A7 Battery Replacement