A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Drive/Ride Concern

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Drive/Ride Concern

Hey guys, not entirely sure where to start, but becoming more and more irritated with my car -_-
wondering if anyone had anything similar and possible solutions..

While driving, my car seems to almost jutter/hop inside the cabin even on flat even road surfaces, it is consistent going anywhere over 35-40 and only becomes more and more noticeable. My car is a 2012 A7 with 68k miles, has brand new Pirelli Cinturato all season tires. Along with this I have also noticed a strange shifting of the car. Have completely no idea if the two may be tied together.
Also even while at idle, the car vibrates terribly in the cabin, where you can physically feel and see it vibrating anything inside.

ive read possibly motor mounts could be the culprit , has anyone had anything similar or any recommendations?

thank you all in advance!

Cody.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick add, it seems to be worse/increase while accelerating. I only drive the vehicle in D, have never had it in sport mode and have never pushed the vehicle. Have babied it since I purchased it used at 47k miles.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody Benson
Quick add, it seems to be worse/increase while accelerating. I only drive the vehicle in D, have never had it in sport mode and have never pushed the vehicle. Have babied it since I purchased it used at 47k miles.
You may need to road force balance those pirellis, they are not very rounded tires and can hop. Get all wheels and tires road forced under 10 lbs . I had dealt with this few times before and only use Michelins now.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey guys, not entirely sure where to start, but becoming more and more irritated with my car -_-
wondering if anyone had anything similar and possible solutions..

While driving, my car seems to almost jutter/hop inside the cabin even on flat even road surfaces, it is consistent going anywhere over 35-40 and only becomes more and more noticeable. My car is a 2012 A7 with 68k miles, has brand new Pirelli Cinturato all season tires. Along with this I have also noticed a strange shifting of the car. Have completely no idea if the two may be tied together.
Also even while at idle, the car vibrates terribly in the cabin, where you can physically feel and see it vibrating anything inside.

ive read possibly motor mounts could be the culprit , has anyone had anything similar or any recommendations?

thank you all in advance!

Cody.
Looks likes your motor mounts are bad too...
The following users liked this post:
Sledgehammer_1 (07-26-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Sounds like a combination of events. The complaints at idle sound like motor mounts. The judder at speed sounds like the wheels. Road force is a good idea.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My apologies, meant to include these symptoms were present before changing tires, had my previous tires that were on road force balanced and the issues persisted. Thought it may be the tires but even after the change issues continues
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My apologies, meant to include these symptoms were present before changing tires, had my previous tires that were on road force balanced and the issues persisted. Thought it may be the tires but even after the change issues continues
Have u check the rims? In past even the best balancing guys with that machine miss a slight bend on inner lip of rim. Have them take them off and check then I would look at your control arm bushings. Those are prone to wearing out in that age vehicle. I had similar symptoms on our 2012 and 2006 A8l with 5 or more years and 100k plus miles. I
Old 03-09-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I will have to double check and verify but I believe the technician did wheel
force and check for any bent/damaged rims prior to.

My unfortunate concern is the vibration at idle has progressively gotten worse through time, and it feels as though when under a heavier load on the gas pedal the shutter/vibration feeling worsens, when coasting or at less strain on the motor it does not feel as noticeable or severe.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Little deeper into it today, have noticed that it seems in low gears the car does not seem as it if has much power or as if it feels Like it should shift. Also feels like around40-55 mph applying a little gas makes the car feel as though it is shaking.

I am getting down to my last nerve and considering dumping the car because extended warranty is about to expire, and fear it turning into a downward money pit. -_-
Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Since you are still covered by an extended warranty, why don’t you just bring the car to the dealer and have the dealer go to town fixing everything and sticking it to the extended warranty company?

Quick Reply: A7 Drive/Ride Concern