A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 front plate filler

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the filler plate from Europarts for my 2012 A7. Did the installation myself. It is very tricky to do if you have never done it or seen it done before. I would not have been able to do it by myself without the help of my engineer son who has owned several Audis. Having seen it done however it is very straightforward and I could probably do in 15 minutes the second time around.

To get needed access to the remove the old grille plate, you have to remove several of the plastic cover pieces at the front of the engine bay. Initially it seems like a lot of work and for me I didnt even know where to start, but once my son showed me the pieces come off very easily. Some of them are not even bolted in but rather tuck into and under other pieces, you simply pull them apart. Very counter-intuitive.

By far the most difficult part of the swap is removing the old grille plate, particularly the lower clips. Removing the lower clips is completely blind, you cant see them and have to do it by feel alone. It really helps to look at the clips on the new filler plate to see what they look like and how they work.

The upper mounting clips are really just tabs and they come out easily. The lower clips are much tougher. Not a lot of room to work with, very tight space and you cant see anything. With the upper grille loose, the temptation is to try to pull on the grille to force the lower clips out. They will break before releasing.

You have to physically press down on the clips at the back of the grille plate to get them to release. Again, it really helps to look at the clips on the new replacement filler plate to see what they look like. Also helps to look at the new filler plate to see where the clips are located; we held the new filler plate up to the old plate on the car to line our hands up.

Some of the clips we were able to release using fingers, but for two of them (there are four lower clips) we used a hard piece of metal to push on the clips to get them to release.

Here is a pic, sorry for the lousy quality.

Name:  IMG_5755_zps1f106264.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TomV
I bought the filler plate from Europarts for my 2012 A7. Did the installation myself. It is very tricky to do if you have never done it or seen it done before. I would not have been able to do it by myself without the help of my engineer son who has owned several Audis. Having seen it done however it is very straightforward and I could probably do in 15 minutes the second time around.

To get needed access to the remove the old grille plate, you have to remove several of the plastic cover pieces at the front of the engine bay. Initially it seems like a lot of work and for me I didnt even know where to start, but once my son showed me the pieces come off very easily. Some of them are not even bolted in but rather tuck into and under other pieces, you simply pull them apart. Very counter-intuitive.

By far the most difficult part of the swap is removing the old grille plate, particularly the lower clips. Removing the lower clips is completely blind, you cant see them and have to do it by feel alone. It really helps to look at the clips on the new filler plate to see what they look like and how they work.

The upper mounting clips are really just tabs and they come out easily. The lower clips are much tougher. Not a lot of room to work with, very tight space and you cant see anything. With the upper grille loose, the temptation is to try to pull on the grille to force the lower clips out. They will break before releasing.

You have to physically press down on the clips at the back of the grille plate to get them to release. Again, it really helps to look at the clips on the new replacement filler plate to see what they look like. Also helps to look at the new filler plate to see where the clips are located; we held the new filler plate up to the old plate on the car to line our hands up.

Some of the clips we were able to release using fingers, but for two of them (there are four lower clips) we used a hard piece of metal to push on the clips to get them to release.

Here is a pic, sorry for the lousy quality.

WOW night and day difference thanks for sharing all the great info! I'm glad to know for sure it will fit a NON S-line model now by that picture.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is the ordering info from Europaparts for the one I put on my A7:

Front Plate Filler (A7) Part # 001745

HTH
Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wont let me edit my posts, sorry, but here is the link to the Europarts page for the A7 filler:

http://www.europaparts.com/front-pla...07287at94.html
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For you guys that have removed the front plate panel and bracket what are you doing with the spare part? Texas is reinstating their front plate law on September 1 with a $200 fine included. It's not just for probable cause anymore. I have everything but the bracket to which the license plate mounts. I'm having trouble sourcing one used locally so if anyone has one lying around I could definitely put it to use.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squeezebutter
For you guys that have removed the front plate panel and bracket what are you doing with the spare part? Texas is reinstating their front plate law on September 1 with a $200 fine included. It's not just for probable cause anymore. I have everything but the bracket to which the license plate mounts. I'm having trouble sourcing one used locally so if anyone has one lying around I could definitely put it to use.
For what I read is exactly the opposite they are removing the penalty of not having the front plate in TX, look at this cops forum.

http://forums.officer.com/t186936/
Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by feralc
For what I read is exactly the opposite they are removing the penalty of not having the front plate in TX, look at this cops forum.

http://forums.officer.com/t186936/
Unfortunately that has changed after the last legislative session and the governor has signed it into law. It was an editing mistake that removed the requirement in the first place so they've now corrected it. I'm trying to source a used bracket and the screws for it rather than going universal or new. If anyone has one lying around I'd be interested to purchase.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Successfully installed - Looks worlds better. Super Clean

Will need:
Small skinny screwdriver or anything narrow to poke clips from behind grill. Very tight space
Long skinny screwdriver
Towel and cleaner for bay area beneath radiator while you have the cover off
Flashlight
Mirror or phone camera helps too

Pop Hood
Remove radiator cover
Two clips on top, pop gently with flathead
Unclip plastic covers over lights, slide to side
Pull cover towards you and run hand along front part to seperate
Unclip safety sensors from behind grill. Pull back small grey tab then simply pull apart from housing
Separate 4 bottom clips from the grill (Must feel with your hands because you cannot really see)
Helps to look at the new piece you plan on installing this way you understand which way the clips come undone
Tip: reach behind grill and push while you pull to separate plate holder from grill fixture
Separate 6 small clips from top of to remove grill
From the front side lift open the bottom part of the grill from the outside of the car and locate where the clip attached to the vehicle. Once you have located them the easiest way is to push the attachment of each clip one by one as you pull apart the piece (If you find yourself pulling unreasonably hard then you probably are not finding the right spot with the screwdriver and you are missing the clip. It will pop apart pretty easy as long as you push the tab in the correct spot. Go one by one for all six tabs and boom you are done and ready to install your new piece.
Impotant! Remove parking sensor fixtures off of your old part before popping in the new one. You will regret not doing this big time if you forget to do this
Once you attach the parking two sensor fixtures (Not the wired connection, do that after) to your new part then just simply line up the new piece and push it right in. Very simple and easy. Just be sure to push firmly around the edges and catch all the tabs of the clips.
Attach parking sensore from behind grill and remember to lock it with the tiny grey tab that you pulled apart to remove the sensors
Before you cover the radiator back up it wouldn't hurt to check to close your hood and turn on the car to check and be sure that you properly attached your sensors to the new part
Put cover back on once you have done this then you are good to go.
Good luck and take your time and be careful with the tabs

2016 A7 Prestige Sport Tornado Grey w Black Optics Pack

Old 03-28-2020, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jorge fernandez
Will need:
Small skinny screwdriver or anything narrow to poke clips from behind grill. Very tight space
Long skinny screwdriver
Towel and cleaner for bay area beneath radiator while you have the cover off
Flashlight
Mirror or phone camera helps too

Pop Hood
Remove radiator cover
Two clips on top, pop gently with flathead
Unclip plastic covers over lights, slide to side
Pull cover towards you and run hand along front part to seperate
Unclip safety sensors from behind grill. Pull back small grey tab then simply pull apart from housing
Separate 4 bottom clips from the grill (Must feel with your hands because you cannot really see)
Helps to look at the new piece you plan on installing this way you understand which way the clips come undone
Tip: reach behind grill and push while you pull to separate plate holder from grill fixture
Separate 6 small clips from top of to remove grill
From the front side lift open the bottom part of the grill from the outside of the car and locate where the clip attached to the vehicle. Once you have located them the easiest way is to push the attachment of each clip one by one as you pull apart the piece (If you find yourself pulling unreasonably hard then you probably are not finding the right spot with the screwdriver and you are missing the clip. It will pop apart pretty easy as long as you push the tab in the correct spot. Go one by one for all six tabs and boom you are done and ready to install your new piece.
Impotant! Remove parking sensor fixtures off of your old part before popping in the new one. You will regret not doing this big time if you forget to do this
Once you attach the parking two sensor fixtures (Not the wired connection, do that after) to your new part then just simply line up the new piece and push it right in. Very simple and easy. Just be sure to push firmly around the edges and catch all the tabs of the clips.
Attach parking sensore from behind grill and remember to lock it with the tiny grey tab that you pulled apart to remove the sensors
Before you cover the radiator back up it wouldn't hurt to check to close your hood and turn on the car to check and be sure that you properly attached your sensors to the new part
Put cover back on once you have done this then you are good to go.
Good luck and take your time and be careful with the tabs

2016 A7 Prestige Sport Tornado Grey w Black Optics Pack
Jeorge I have the same car make and model, and I’m ready to remove the front tag. I removed the tag but it looked weird underneath. Is this a new grille completely or fillers? Can you share with me the link where you purchased your parts?
Old 03-28-2020, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Just google the front filler plate and you will find about 20 different ways to buy it. Range is $120 to $250 depending on new or used and which company. Although it’s more labor to replace you can get the RS7 honeycomb grill for the same price.

Quick Reply: A7 front plate filler