A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Hatch rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
I have solved this exact problem by wrapping one turn of black electrical tape around these tabs. Noise went away!
Thanks... but my issue was with the latch.
Fortunately no issues with the privacy covers!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melland
Thanks... but my issue was with the latch.
Fortunately no issues with the privacy covers!
I have a 2016 that had the same issue. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new latch mechanism...no more rattle.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by melland
We could adjust the rubber bumpers to cause the hatch to have more "pull" and likely dampen or stop the sound but ultimately I don't feel the latch should have that much give in it. Nor do I want the hatch to no longer align with the rest of the car body.
You're correct on adjusting the bumpers. They are used to align the hatch with the quarter panels when the hatch is closed.

The chrome piece that covers the latch doesn't look like it would be easy to remove at all. Does anyone know how to tighten that latch? Have an exploded view?
From the diagram in this listing, it looks like the trim comes out by pulling straight up. There probably are a couple of bolts down where the trim goes below the deck.

Once that is out, there's a plate in the center that should be adjustable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A7-Rear-Luggage-Trunk-lining-Trim-4G8863471-OEM-OE-/131129263937?hash=item1e87e9c741&vxp=mtr
Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by viggense
I have a 2016 that had the same issue. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new latch mechanism...no more rattle.
Oh I'm having the exact same issue myself in my 2016 A7 as well. Sounds like a common problem.

I haven't had the time to take it to the dealer yet, but I also diagnosed it to be the latch mechanism issue.

viggense - it seems that you & I are having very similar issues with our new A7s.. first audi connect, then this..
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks TenSpeed - that really helped me see how the trim was attached.

Unfortunately, I gave up after starting to get concerned I was going to warp or break it... after losing my patience, I adjusted the rubber stops about 2mm and it was enough to stop the rattle. 2mm wasn't enough to change the hatch's alignment with the rest of the body of the car.

As I mentioned before the rattle definitely comes from the metal "hook" that the latch attaches to on the lower trim. I have a service coming up in another couple months and I'm going to mention it to them and see what they have to say about it. I'll report back.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mayankag
Oh I'm having the exact same issue myself in my 2016 A7 as well. Sounds like a common problem.

I haven't had the time to take it to the dealer yet, but I also diagnosed it to be the latch mechanism issue.

viggense - it seems that you & I are having very similar issues with our new A7s.. first audi connect, then this..
mayankag

Lol...are you also having an intermittent squeak from the front left side of the dash/door area? Of course the dealer never hears it but is unacceptable considering it is a brand new car.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found and fixed annoying rear rattle on my '13 A7. On my car, finally tracked it down to the rear deck lid mounts that attaches to the rear window. Remove that lid (two rubber ***** at window).
Place lid-thing on a flat surface, like the trunk. Notice the how the ****-things are mounted to the lid. They protrude from the sides and mount to the lid-thing under a 2" x 1.5" black square plastic cap. My left "****-thing" was slightly loose and caused the very annoying rattle. Not obvious how these cause rattles, but that was the cause. See if you wiggle/slide either side even a little bit. That bracket should not move at all. If yes, carefully pry off the black plastic cover with a small flat blade screwdriver and tighten the two Phillips screws under the cover. Poof, noise gone. Rattle returned after 2 months, and bracket was loose again. This time, I put a dab of blue locktite on the Phillip screw threads and tightened. Rattle gone forever. Be careful not to over-tighten these screws.
Best of luck,
llbay
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

mayankag

Lol...are you also having an intermittent squeak from the front left side of the dash/door area? Of course the dealer never hears it but is unacceptable considering it is a brand new car.
Fortunately not. Not yet .

Though I got my car back from the dealership today after the first oil change and got the trunk rattle repaired. They replaced what they call the 'striker' - part number 4H0-827-383-A and the noise is gone! Did they replace the same part for you too?

And I think they missed doing the tire rotation as the one wheel that has curb rash on it is still where it was. Did your dealer rotate the tires? I even wonder if they changed the oil at all as the oil level in the MMI shows somewhere at 80% - where it was before the car went in for the service. When I got the car new, it was 100%. :-/
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mayankag
Fortunately not. Not yet .

Though I got my car back from the dealership today after the first oil change and got the trunk rattle repaired. They replaced what they call the 'striker' - part number 4H0-827-383-A and the noise is gone! Did they replace the same part for you too?

And I think they missed doing the tire rotation as the one wheel that has curb rash on it is still where it was. Did your dealer rotate the tires? I even wonder if they changed the oil at all as the oil level in the MMI shows somewhere at 80% - where it was before the car went in for the service. When I got the car new, it was 100%. :-/
That was the same part that was replaced on mine as well. It doesn't sound like they did anything to your car. My tires were rotated and my oil level was back to 100%, although it was barely under 100% when I took it in.

Of course the squeak wasn't there while they had it. I even took a tech with me and it wouldn't do it. I finally figured it out though.....it only does it when it has been sitting out in the sun in 90+ degree weather (I live in Central Cali). By the time I get it to the dealer, the A/C has been running through the dash and cools the glue so it doesn't squeak when I arrive. With the temperatures not being so high recently, it is not really doing it.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It doesn't sound like they did anything to your car. My tires were rotated and my oil level was back to 100%, although it was barely under 100% when I took it in.
Yeah I'm certain that they didn't. I called them today and the service advisor's attitude was full of s*&t. I don't know how to prove it to them that they didn't change the oil. Any advice on how to proceed from here?

Quick Reply: A7 Hatch rattle