A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Ultra gearbox "economy mode"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Ultra gearbox "economy mode"

I have a 2016 A7 Ultra model and have recently had a new gearbox fitted under warranty from main Audi dealership.
However, the fuel economy display no longer shows "economy mode"under deceleration. With my old gearbox this "display mode" on the dashboard would show everytime i lifted off the throttle pedal and it felt almost like the car would go into a cruise type mode (IE the digital display "bar" would go into the GREEN BATTERY setting and the words "Economy Mode" would show underneath.
Since the new gearbox installation this digital display no longer states "Economy mode"? Furthermore, the car seems to be using more fuel than it previously did.
My worry is that the Audi dealer has fitted a standard (IE: Non "Ultra") gearbox?
Any ideas? Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Damian
Old 04-08-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't believe it is the gearbox that decides the behaviour of the electrical systems on over-run.

The economy mode and the green status for the battery simply indicates that the charging current being sent to the battery is sufficient to reach a pre-determined level.

It's simply a system which makes best use of the mass of the moving vehicle to charge the battery at a higher rate while the vehicle is slowing down. This allows a lower charge rate when driving under power which reduces the load on the alternator.

The aim is the reduce fuel consumption overall.

I suspect there is simply a menu option to show that display again and the function itself is working normally.

I am not sure why you be seeing higher fuel consumption though....

The best thing is to go back to the dealer.