A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 vs S7 reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 vs S7 reliability.

Hello everyone. Currently researching the C7 platform as the Audi A7 (or potentially S7) is the next car that I have my sights on. I know there has been plenty of threads on the performance and value differences of the A vs S cars on these forums but I cant seem to find many about the difference in reliability between each. The relatively recent influx of blown turbo threads/posts is kind of scaring me away from the V8 TT cars which stinks because most of the general opinion seems to agree "If you can afford the S6/S7 over the A then get it." I cant seem to find any threads with the superchargers crapping out on anyone; maybe I need to lurk around more.

-Are the supercharged 3.0 engines more reliable than the TT 4.0? Past experience led me to believe 8cyl cars were more reliable than their 6cyl counterparts (mostly GM vehicles) but I have never owned an Audi...
-Is there any significant reliability difference between the 3.0 gas and diesel cars? I know the diesels cost a bit more initially and have a bit more maintenance but if the consensus seems to be to avoid the TT for now then my next decision may be which of the 3.0 engines to go for.
-Has anyone dealt with a 3rd party warranty after the original Audi warranty runs out? I have to look into this a bit more but seems like it might be worth it if it covers a potential disaster like many of you guys with the turbos have been dealing with.

Im hoping some members with ownership experience of multiple engine types can chime in with maintenance costs and longevity differences. Of course, any and all input is appreciated. I do plan on picking up a used car which will most likely be out of original warranty so reliability is a huge concern. I know Audis have potential costly repairs but I am fairly handy and plan on sticking to the maintenance schedule and then some based on all the awesome information Ive gathered so far from the forums. Really looking forward to getting one of these beautiful cars and hope to be more active in the forums once I do. Note: I also cross posted this on Audizine as that is where the bulk of the turbo issues seem to be documented.Thanks for reading (if you made it this far)!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the V8 Twin Turbo, I have a Porsche Panamera with that engine and it is a beast. Zero issues so far. It is the reason I did not spring for the RS7. Had I not already had the Panny I would certainly spring for the RS. The A/R 7 is a beautiful car with great handling and a plethora of creature comforts. I was looking for a car for my wife and once I drove the A7 TDi I was sold. You know, they don't make 'em anymore, so if you want one you will have to buy a pre-owned. I bought a low mileage MY16 Prestige and I could not be more pleased with it. It is fun to drive, has killer torque, and just about every option available from Audi. It is a real look too. Plenty of thumbs up from the peanut gallery.