A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Aftermarket Windshield Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Windshield Dilemma

First post guys, be gentle

I have a 2014 Audi A7 Prestige CPO with around 48K miles. I would occasionally get an "ACC/Braking Guard" fault about every 4-6 months. After restarting the car the fault would go away for another 4-6 months. I could deal with this as I knew going in for the camera calibration wouldn't be cheap.

Recently I had my windshield replaced as I got a crack that extended the whole length of the window from top to bottom.
I had an aftermarket window put in and the glass shop's invoice listed "windshield-rain sensor/acoustic interlayer, w/adaptive cruise + Pad (sensor)" so I know they were aware the car had the ACC, etc. before they put in the aftermarket window.

Two weeks later I took my car into the dealer for its 45K service and I mentioned that I get an occasional ACC fault.
After getting car back from dealer the next day ACC/Braking Guard are completely dead/disabled, with a constant fault reading in the dash cluster.

I made a new appointment 3 weeks later as I needed a loaner. At this appointment Audi Service says while the calibration went through, the components will not function due to aftermarket window. Fault for incorrect installation of camera. Audi told me I need to have incorrectly installed aftermarket window replaced with an OEM window and re-calibrated again.

I'm calling BS on this and here's why.

After getting aftermarket window installed the ACC worked fine for the two weeks I drove it until it went in for the 45k service. Only after the 45k service was the ACC/Braking Guard completely dead/disabled. Audi blames the aftermarket window install for causing the ACC faults and said I need an OEM window installed and calibrated.

It sounds to me that a sensor is bad and causing these faults. If the aftermarket install was the cause of the faults wouldn't it have been apparent right after leaving the glass shop? It was fine for two more weeks!

My insurance company has been helpful and is recommending for starters to try another Audi dealer and see what they have to say.

Any thoughts....
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by beldar
First post guys, be gentle

I have a 2014 Audi A7 Prestige CPO with around 48K miles. I would occasionally get an "ACC/Braking Guard" fault about every 4-6 months. After restarting the car the fault would go away for another 4-6 months. I could deal with this as I knew going in for the camera calibration wouldn't be cheap.

Recently I had my windshield replaced as I got a crack that extended the whole length of the window from top to bottom.
I had an aftermarket window put in and the glass shop's invoice listed "windshield-rain sensor/acoustic interlayer, w/adaptive cruise + Pad (sensor)" so I know they were aware the car had the ACC, etc. before they put in the aftermarket window.

Two weeks later I took my car into the dealer for its 45K service and I mentioned that I get an occasional ACC fault.
After getting car back from dealer the next day ACC/Braking Guard are completely dead/disabled, with a constant fault reading in the dash cluster.

I made a new appointment 3 weeks later as I needed a loaner. At this appointment Audi Service says while the calibration went through, the components will not function due to aftermarket window. Fault for incorrect installation of camera. Audi told me I need to have incorrectly installed aftermarket window replaced with an OEM window and re-calibrated again.

I'm calling BS on this and here's why.

After getting aftermarket window installed the ACC worked fine for the two weeks I drove it until it went in for the 45k service. Only after the 45k service was the ACC/Braking Guard completely dead/disabled. Audi blames the aftermarket window install for causing the ACC faults and said I need an OEM window installed and calibrated.

It sounds to me that a sensor is bad and causing these faults. If the aftermarket install was the cause of the faults wouldn't it have been apparent right after leaving the glass shop? It was fine for two more weeks!

My insurance company has been helpful and is recommending for starters to try another Audi dealer and see what they have to say.

Any thoughts....
It's aftermarket and I would replace it with oem. Overtime the ACC will recognize the glass having different attenuation under sunlight and at night and will become aware and throw fault codes. Sorry tell your insurance company to get it covered for OEM glass.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Second vote for getting the OEM windshield.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Baloo and Kevin. Looks like I'll be getting the oem glass. Hopefully that'll clear up the fault codes.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading up on this forum, I went with OEM windshield. OEM cost almost 2x the aftermarket Safelite windshield....ouch but at least no issues. The local Safelite installer also recommended OEM on my A7.