A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Air Leather steering wheel options to replace 3-spoke w/heat on US '14 A7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air Leather steering wheel options to replace 3-spoke w/heat on US '14 A7?

I find the air leather to be much more comfortable (particularly for long drives. Also I have skin condition that blisters more easily than the average Joe, so this isn't just for looks, it's for a medical application ). Currently we have air leather (and flat bottom) on our 2 Q5s TDI S-Line and on our TTRS (going up for sale today) and like those very much. I read some old threads and it sounds like a flat-bottom from an RS7 has been swapped in, though it loses the heating (apparently heat not available on flat bottom).

Assuming all of that is still true, is there a round steering wheel that has air leather and heating? And of course I want 3-spoke to keep the sportiness. It would be an added bonus if I can reuse same airbag too. Does such a thing exist? I suppose, of course, I could have my steering wheel reupholstered.

Thanks!

Here's our upcoming '14 A7 TDI wheel (grainy cell phone/text image, not all beat up, lol):

Here's the wheel in our TTRS (full air leather):

And here's in our Q5 TDI S-Line (partial air leather):

PS - I found this photo in the gallery thread which looks like what I'm describing, though I'm not sure on the heating aspect. Also it's from Norway (2011 TDI S-Line) so not sure how parts match up. So if something like this exists as an option for US steering wheel swap, please share details! Thanks

Last edited by Mark P; 03-20-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I find the air leather to be much more comfortable (particularly for long drives. Also I have skin condition that blisters more easily than the average Joe, so this isn't just for looks, it's for a medical application ). Currently we have air leather (and flat bottom) on our 2 Q5s TDI S-Line and on our TTRS (going up for sale today) and like those very much. I read some old threads and it sounds like a flat-bottom from an RS7 has been swapped in, though it loses the heating (apparently heat not available on flat bottom).

Assuming all of that is still true, is there a round steering wheel that has air leather and heating? And of course I want 3-spoke to keep the sportiness. It would be an added bonus if I can reuse same airbag too. Does such a thing exist? I suppose, of course, I could have my steering wheel reupholstered.

Thanks!
Are you referring to the perforated leather used on the ventilated seats as "air leather"?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Are you referring to the perforated leather used on the ventilated seats as "air leather"?
I'm not sure that's what they call it on the seats , but yes I'm referring to the perforated leather used on steering wheels and gear shifters.

I tried to do a search to find that name used by Audi, but came up empty. Here's such a description from Europrice:
Steering Wheel | Air Leather Flat-Bottom
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I was wondering about the "air leather" label, I've heard of it as "Euro-perf".

To answer your question, yes a round three spoke, heated, air leather does exist. I have one and the USA three spoke air bag fits. The Euro-Perf is on the sides and the top/bottom are smooth. Since my A7 did not come with a heated wheel, I will also change the clock spring and enable some coding.

I found it on eBay for $350-$400 from a European vendor (Latvia IIRC).
Name:  eBay%202-15%2001_zpsvegiereh.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  97.8 KB

The vendor had a incomplete part number which limited the potential bidders. I did hours of research from the OEM on line parts catalogs and took a chance. "Soul" is a color.
Name:  eBay%202-15%2006_zpsbalsrnw3.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  52.6 KB
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have ventilated seats (perforated leather on the seats). I also have a 3 spoke, heated steering wheel but the leather on it is not perforated, even though the color matches the seats.

Last edited by fkaufman; 03-22-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I have ventilated seats (perforated leather) on the seats. I also have a 3 spoke, heated steering wheel but the leather on it is not perforated, even though the color matches the seats.
Correct, it's not in US A7s. Thus I'm trying to find what options I can swap in to get perforated leather steering wheel (and keep heated). Thanks to tenspeed I now dee there is an option, though seems like it's $550 or so shipped from Sweeden.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I was wondering about the "air leather" label, I've heard of it as "Euro-perf".

To answer your question, yes a round three spoke, heated, air leather does exist. I have one and the USA three spoke air bag fits. The Euro-Perf is on the sides and the top/bottom are smooth. Since my A7 did not come with a heated wheel, I will also change the clock spring and enable some coding.

I found it on eBay for $350-$400 from a European vendor (Latvia IIRC).

The vendor had a incomplete part number which limited the potential bidders. I did hours of research from the OEM on line parts catalogs and took a chance. "Soul" is a color.
thanks this is great info. I probably spent too much time on ebay today trying to find these. Seems one vendor in Sweeden has them for about $550 shipped

Last edited by Mark P; 03-21-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

FYI, here's the one I found. $450 + $100 ship:
Audi A6 A7 S-Line HEATED Steering Wheel w G-Tronic Gear Paddles # 4G0419091AAIXC | eBay
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
FYI, here's the one I found. $450 + $100 ship:
That looks like a winner for your year A7. During my research, I found that steering wheels are separated into two groups. One set for cars built before Nov 2011 and another for cars built after Nov 2011.

My car was built before 11/2011 and the vendor was open to best offers. I got it for $300 shipped.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by tenspeed
That looks like a winner for your year A7. During my research, I found that steering wheels are separated into two groups. One set for cars built before Nov 2011 and another for cars built after Nov 2011.

My car was built before 11/2011 and the vendor was open to best offers. I got it for $300 shipped.
Oh I didn't realize what year your car was. How do you know this one is for post 2011? I was merely trying to find the same PN you posted, though I realize this one has a few extra letters at the end... Did I happen to get the right one for me? It was the only one with heated and perforated I could find.

Quick Reply: Air Leather steering wheel options to replace 3-spoke w/heat on US '14 A7?