A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 front grill care

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A7 front grill care

Hi, do you have any ideas or suggestions how to care/repair about A7 front chrome grill? Mine has some scratches and I don't know it's a bra or paint?!! They say if i buy a new I will have the same trouble in several months, what have you done with yours? Should i paint the black part or use bra? Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Evotech
Hi, do you have any ideas or suggestions how to care/repair about A7 front chrome grill? Mine has some scratches and I don't know it's a bra or paint?!! They say if i buy a new I will have the same trouble in several months, what have you done with yours? Should i paint the black part or use bra? Thanks
I saw another thread where the grill was repainted. You could also use a vinyl wrap. There are several people that have replaced the grill with an RS7 version, usually a less expensive aftermarket type.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evotech
Mine was peeling badly after 118,000 miles of road duty. I ended up taking it off and repainting it. I removed the chrome trim before getting to work on it. The hardest part was getting the remaining paint off. I tried using a chemical to remove the paint, but that didn't do anything, so I ended up using a razor blade to remove the rest. I then used a super fine sandpaper to prep the surface, followed by Rustoleum Gloss Black paint. I think it turned out pretty good, if not quite as glossy as the original paint. In the future, I may redo it with touch-up paint to match the original, but it sure looks better than it did. We'll see how long it holds up.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
I think it turned out pretty good, if not quite as glossy as the original paint.
I think it turned out really good. Try a clear coat to bring out the gloss. Practice on a sample piece first to see how it looks and if the clear is compatible with the Rustoleum.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was peeling badly after 118,000 miles of road duty. I ended up taking it off and repainting it. I removed the chrome trim before getting to work on it. The hardest part was getting the remaining paint off. I tried using a chemical to remove the paint, but that didn't do anything, so I ended up using a razor blade to remove the rest. I then used a super fine sandpaper to prep the surface, followed by Rustoleum Gloss Black paint. I think it turned out pretty good, if not quite as glossy as the original paint. In the future, I may redo it with touch-up paint to match the original, but it sure looks better than it did. We'll see how long it holds up.
Hi there, can you please describe how you removed the chrome bits ?
Wonder if wrapping in full gloss metalick 3M would be easier and probably more resistant?

Last edited by soft; 09-24-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soft
Hi there, can you please describe how you removed the chrome bits ?
If I remember correctly... I used a pry tool to help pry apart the tabs on the back that hold onto the chrome tab, and then gently push it through. It's a bit tough and have to be careful not to break the chrome, of course. Start on the ends and work your way towards the middle.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How much did you guys spend to repaint the grill? I have a 2016 Audi A7 and a road debris flew into my grill and damaged it at the lower margin of it and didn't touch the plate delete panel so I ordered a new grill online from a Audi dealership in New York for only 360 dollars and shipped it to Michigan so its not bad compared to the 520 dollars MSRP price from Audi. I wonder if thats a far better way of spending the money then repainting a grill.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baloo588
How much did you guys spend to repaint the grill? I have a 2016 Audi A7 and a road debris flew into my grill and damaged it at the lower margin of it and didn't touch the plate delete panel so I ordered a new grill online from a Audi dealership in New York for only 360 dollars and shipped it to Michigan so its not bad compared to the 520 dollars MSRP price from Audi. I wonder if thats a far better way of spending the money then repainting a grill.
For me, my grill wasn't damaged, just the plate delete paint peeling, so the cost was just for the paint.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

For me, my grill wasn't damaged, just the plate delete paint peeling, so the cost was just for the paint.

Gotcha then that's a job well done!

Quick Reply: Audi A7 front grill care