A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 MMI Screen is blank

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi A7 MMI Screen is blank

Hello all, it has been a while. I have been having a blast with this car with no issues until now. While driving today, I made a 30 minute stop and when I got to my car I noticed that the MM! screen was blank. No data displayed just a black screen.
I have tried resetting the MMI to no avail. The radio and media buttons work and I get the correct response. I can see the radio station on the dashboard display so everything appears to be working. The screen pops up normally without any noises.
I have been searching the forums for anything close but have not found any information. I was wondering if anyone had any insight.
My car is a 2012 so it is out of warranty. I had not noticed any issues with the screen until now. My MMI version is in the 700 number, I cant recall the exact number.
Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fstkmaro
... when I got to my car I noticed that the MM! screen was blank. No data displayed just a black screen.
I have tried resetting the MMI to no avail. The radio and media buttons work and I get the correct response. I can see the radio station on the dashboard display so everything appears to be working. The screen pops up normally without any noises.
I have been searching the forums for anything close but have not found any information. I was wondering if anyone had any insight.
My car is a 2012 so it is out of warranty. I had not noticed any issues with the screen until now. My MMI version is in the 700 number, I cant recall the exact number.
Anyone has any suggestions?
Do you have VCDS? If so, run a scan and see if there are any error codes.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
Do you have VCDS? If so, run a scan and see if there are any error codes.
Thank you. Unfortunately no VCDS. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Depending on where you are at, you may be able to find a member nearby that has it and could help out. You can get codes read for free from AutoZone, but not sure if it will show all Audi codes.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, I went and got a VCDS interface cable and software from Ross-Tech. Upon connecting it to my car the following codes were displayed that I could find are related to the display. These are below. It seems that I am out of luck and that a trip to the dealer is necessary. What if any can I do?

Old 06-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Based on those last two codes, I'd say your screen is dead. I've seen some other threads of people replacing the screen, but that's pretty involved.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually, replacing the screen is very easy on the A7. There are no special tools required and sometimes they are available on ebay as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I figured I was out of luck. I have tried finding information on how to remove and replace the screen but as typical for the A7 there is nothing out there. I will see what the dealer wants to fix it.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, just an update. I was able to get a new screen from a salvage yard for $99. I also purchased a trim removal kit from ECS tuning and went to it. The swap is relatively easy just taking my time to ensure that no trim is damaged. I replaced the screen with the one I got very easily but no dice.
In retrospect, the supply voltage line in my ECS report may actually be the voltage coming from the interface to the display. Maybe that section of the interface is kaput. All other items work on the MMI. The interface unfortunately has to be done by the dealer in order to program it to the car, at least that is what I have read around.
Oh well, next weekend it will be at the dealership, I will update all with what I find.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fstkmaro
Well, just an update. I was able to get a new screen from a salvage yard for $99. I also purchased a trim removal kit from ECS tuning and went to it. The swap is relatively easy just taking my time to ensure that no trim is damaged. I replaced the screen with the one I got very easily but no dice.
In retrospect, the supply voltage line in my ECS report may actually be the voltage coming from the interface to the display. Maybe that section of the interface is kaput. All other items work on the MMI. The interface unfortunately has to be done by the dealer in order to program it to the car, at least that is what I have read around.
Oh well, next weekend it will be at the dealership, I will update all with what I find.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
It's most likely the 5F (MMI) controller that will need to be replaced. If you purchase the part new or used, the dealer will still need to re-code to the car. This can only be accomplished when the dealer is connected to the VAG database as prevention for stolen car parts making it back onto production cars.

Enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: Audi A7 MMI Screen is blank