A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 MMI Screen is blank

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi did you get the issue resolved, and if so what was the cost? I have the exact same issue in my 2011 A7 so a visit to the dealer is unfortunate on the cards....
Old 02-17-2018, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
It's most likely the 5F (MMI) controller that will need to be replaced. If you purchase the part new or used, the dealer will still need to re-code to the car. This can only be accomplished when the dealer is connected to the VAG database as prevention for stolen car parts making it back onto production cars.

Enjoy the ride!
Can anyone confirm this. Im having the same problem and need this fixed.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Blank screen

anyone have this figured out? All functions work but my 2012 mmi screen is blank other than a random drive it works.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MMI blank screen is fixed

Hello all, today I was successful on fixing the screen. Thanks to my friends at HiTech electronics that gave me the pointers as to what the problem was. It turns out there is a connector with two wires connected to the screen that carry the power to the screen. These wires break not far from the connector, somewhere between five and seven inches from the connector. In some cases the wires, once broken, can short and blow a fuse. I removed my screen again and found the wires completely broken, both of them. I repaired it using some solder and some silicone wires and replace the fuse and now I have a bright shiny working screen. It felt so good to be able to turn off the yellow lamp for the tire pressure LOL. Anyways, there is an album in my profile with some pictures I took of the broken wires and the connector that is needed. No special tools needed to remove the screen, it is fairly simple. Good luck to those that are suffering from this bad issue. I hope this helps someone else and a shout out to the folks at HiTech Electronics, their help was invaluable.
The cavernous nest of the MMI screen

Stupid power wires break about seven inches from the connector.

Similar view of the broken wires.

More detail

Turn on the radio and voila, after fixing the broken wires.
The following 4 users liked this post by fstkmaro:
AesQlapius (10-24-2022), Corey Word (03-09-2021), motocrossgrl99 (02-04-2023), Salman electrician (05-01-2020)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fstkmaro
Hello all, today I was successful on fixing the screen. Thanks to my friends at HiTech electronics that gave me the pointers as to what the problem was. It turns out there is a connector with two wires connected to the screen that carry the power to the screen. These wires break not far from the connector, somewhere between five and seven inches from the connector. In some cases the wires, once broken, can short and blow a fuse. I removed my screen again and found the wires completely broken, both of them. I repaired it using some solder and some silicone wires and replace the fuse and now I have a bright shiny working screen. It felt so good to be able to turn off the yellow lamp for the tire pressure LOL. Anyways, there is an album in my profile with some pictures I took of the broken wires and the connector that is needed. No special tools needed to remove the screen, it is fairly simple. Good luck to those that are suffering from this bad issue. I hope this helps someone else and a shout out to the folks at HiTech Electronics, their help was invaluable.
The cavernous nest of the MMI screen

Stupid power wires break about seven inches from the connector.

Similar view of the broken wires.

More detail

Turn on the radio and voila, after fixing the broken wires.
This is the single most important post on the blank audi MMI issue! I had the same problem and was checking the electrical board then read this and checked my wires. I had the exact same issue. I wonder how many people have tried replacing the MMI at the dealer with this broken wires being the only issue.

Thanks fstkmaro for posting this info!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. Special thanks to the folks at HiTech electronics. It was frustrating for me to drive around with the broken screen and having invested in a replacement for it to be two silly wires LOL. I am happy it was that simple and happy to see this is helping some folks. I hope they pin this post as I suspect many first gen A7s are suffering from this or will soon.

cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by fstkmaro:
AesQlapius (10-24-2022), Dannielle Smallwood (05-09-2020)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fstkmaro
Thank you. Special thanks to the folks at HiTech electronics. It was frustrating for me to drive around with the broken screen and having invested in a replacement for it to be two silly wires LOL. I am happy it was that simple and happy to see this is helping some folks. I hope they pin this post as I suspect many first gen A7s are suffering from this or will soon.

cheers
Great information! I had the exact problem on my 2012 A7. I picked up the trim removal kit, popped off the trim which was easier than I expected. I could not get any of the clips to release so I just left them attached. The break was right at the knuckle where the two sets of wires come together so I just tugged on the two power wires and they came free. I cut away the sheath after the knuckle, spliced the wires back together bypassing the knuckle completely. I did have to replace the fuse and voila fixed! Thanks again for the post - I am sure it saved my a lot of money.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My screen has also gone black. Where did you look to replace the fuse for the screen? I'm not as car "savvy", but I did see a replacement screen on eBay for $200.00. I figured it would be a whole lot cheaper vs taking it to the dealer
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any help finding a DIY how to remove the trim?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOPOH
Any help finding a DIY how to remove the trim?
There is a Youtube video on removing the dash. It actually is a series of short videos - about 15 parts, one of them will show how to replace the trim. Search for "Audi A7 dashboard removal".
The following users liked this post:
AesQlapius (10-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Audi A7 MMI Screen is blank