A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi admits adaptive cruise design is bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi admits adaptive cruise design is bad

I took my A7 in because I was tired of the cruise control failing due to a sensor blockage. I knew there was no block and, as it turns out, Audi knows it as well. They published a service bulletin saying the sensor fails when it doesn't "see" anything for a while (eg. no other cars for some amount of time). Are they going to fix it? No. Their stance is "this is the way it is on your 80K car":. It would be one thing if there was a way to defeat the adaptive feature but apparently there isn't which means no cruise at all until the system clears it's throat (10 - 15 minutes in my experience).

Given the purpose of this car for me (600 mile/week across state commuter) I would not have bought it for that reason alone. I can't believe they think they can justify this. In any case, there's no way I'll ever go Audi again.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always move to the East Coast where there is plenty of traffic congestion, and your problem will disappear.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cj8718
I took my A7 in because I was tired of the cruise control failing due to a sensor blockage. I knew there was no block and, as it turns out, Audi knows it as well. They published a service bulletin saying the sensor fails when it doesn't "see" anything for a while (eg. no other cars for some amount of time). Are they going to fix it? No. Their stance is "this is the way it is on your 80K car":. It would be one thing if there was a way to defeat the adaptive feature but apparently there isn't which means no cruise at all until the system clears it's throat (10 - 15 minutes in my experience).

Given the purpose of this car for me (600 mile/week across state commuter) I would not have bought it for that reason alone. I can't believe they think they can justify this. In any case, there's no way I'll ever go Audi again.
No problem with the adaptive cruise control at all on our 2014 Audi A6 in 3 years. Take your car to another dealership. Its supposed to work as design without failure... I don't have this on my 2016 Audi A7 but would of love to have it. I am going for the new A7 or S7 generation which has a more sophisticated cruise control among other features.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Audi adaptive cruise on my 2013 and use it all the time with great success. I have driven long drives across Utah where there are no cars for 50 miles and then it works right every time. I suspect yours need a repair.... (and mine is much better than my friend that owns a Benz)

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Audi adaptive cruise on my 2013 Q7 and use it all the time with great success. I have driven long drives across Utah where there are no cars for 50 miles and then it works right every time. I suspect yours need a repair.... (and mine is much better than my friend that owns a Benz)

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Never had an issue with the adaptive cruise and I have 85k miles on my car.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cj8718

My Q8 lost it for 14 hours with clean sensors. It was in a little used parking lot when it died.
Can you provide a link or copy of the service bulletin? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Both of my A7-s had the adaptive cruise control, I use it extensively, never had a problem with it.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
My Q8 lost it for 14 hours with clean sensors. It was in a little used parking lot when it died.
Can you provide a link or copy of the service bulletin? Thanks.
The bulletin they printed for me is 2033355/3. The title is: "91 ACC and braking guard warning message (DTC CF110BF0)". According to revision history notes, this is something they've been aware of as an issue since 2013.

Thanks for responding and I'm glad your cars don't have this issue but am pissed mine does. I realize this doesn't qualify for our Lemon Law but I can't believe they can simply blow me off like they think they've done. Do I have any recourse?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had mine stop working today on a 3hr drive at night. There must have not been anything in front of me for 5 or 10 min period? I just simply pulled over and shut car off let the dog out and got back in and took off. Worked the rest of the way but never had long stint without anyone in front.

Are you experiencing this when nobody is in front for a while?

Quick Reply: Audi admits adaptive cruise design is bad