A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Best all-season tire for 2016 Audi A7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Pirelli 265/35 R20 on my A7 now. I was wondering come snow time how they will handle in the snow here in NY.
I had Pirelli on my A6 and it handled great in snow but they were smaller wheels. will the 20's be an issue or will they grip and handle slippery conditions ok in the snow.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbully
I have Pirelli 265/35 R20 on my A7 now. I was wondering come snow time how they will handle in the snow here in NY.
I had Pirelli on my A6 and it handled great in snow but they were smaller wheels. will the 20's be an issue or will they grip and handle slippery conditions ok in the snow.

Those pirellis on the 20s are horrendous in light snow. I wouldn't even try to keep them on the A7 for winter. My A7 does tons better with 19 inch and blizzak tires. IF you want to keep ur current 20s for winter with all those potholes then I rec you switch those tires out for probably the Continental DWS06. Your A6 had smaller wheels so the tires are more thicker and have more flexible in cold weather but the 20s the tires will stiffen a lot and will lose traction and you will notice the a7 loves to fish tail a bit on turns with those tires... I prefer to protect my 20s in winter with potholes and go down to 19s which I have now with Blizzaks Lm32 tires.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Those pirellis on the 20s are horrendous in light snow. I wouldn't even try to keep them on the A7 for winter. My A7 does tons better with 19 inch and blizzak tires. IF you want to keep ur current 20s for winter with all those potholes then I rec you switch those tires out for probably the Continental DWS06. Your A6 had smaller wheels so the tires are more thicker and have more flexible in cold weather but the 20s the tires will stiffen a lot and will lose traction and you will notice the a7 loves to fish tail a bit on turns with those tires... I prefer to protect my 20s in winter with potholes and go down to 19s which I have now with Blizzaks Lm32 tires.
yup, that's what I was thinking too. That's what I was afraid of. That means forking out bucks for new wheels and tires too. I already hate all the bumps and potholes on the road here on Long Island. Highest taxes in the country and roads are so rough in a lot of spots.
anyways, I had same thoughts about these tires gripping in snow in the cold. I mentioned to my wife over wknd when it got down in the high 20's. We were driving in her Volvo XC60. No worries there. My A6 I had handled in the snow like a commercial, it was stuck to the road.
these 20's... will avoid when can. Still have wife's A4 that I use sometimes. Think that will be the snow car, lol.. so long as a storm doesn't sneak up on me.
thanks for the input Baloo. Much appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yup, that's what I was thinking too. That's what I was afraid of. That means forking out bucks for new wheels and tires too. I already hate all the bumps and potholes on the road here on Long Island. Highest taxes in the country and roads are so rough in a lot of spots.
anyways, I had same thoughts about these tires gripping in snow in the cold. I mentioned to my wife over wknd when it got down in the high 20's. We were driving in her Volvo XC60. No worries there. My A6 I had handled in the snow like a commercial, it was stuck to the road.
these 20's... will avoid when can. Still have wife's A4 that I use sometimes. Think that will be the snow car, lol.. so long as a storm doesn't sneak up on me.
thanks for the input Baloo. Much appreciated.

Glad to be of help!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got the DWS 06's put on my A6.
I'm looking forward to wearing them in & seeing what they'll do, come rain, shine or snow.
Weather doesn't stop me, that's why I got a quattro.

Last edited by LarryJa; 11-15-2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Added clarification
Old 11-15-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
I just got the DWS 06's put on my A6.
I'm looking forward to wearing them in & seeing what they'll do, come rain, shine or snow.
Weather doesn't stop me, that's why I got a quattro.
What size did you get, how much road noise?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Go123
What size did you get, how much road noise?
I replaced the OEM Continental ProContacts in the same 245/40-18 size. So far(20 miles), they seem particularly quiet. We'll see over time...

Last edited by LarryJa; 11-15-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-01-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: my Conti DWS-06's are quieter & more solid sounding than the Conti procontacts they replaced. Ride quality is almost the same & handling is far superior IMHO. & their treadwear rating is 40% longer to boot!
I was concerned that the Michelin AS3+'s would ride too stiffly at slow speed on suburban roads for my SO.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, that didn't take long. I hit pothole last night and totally shredded damn tire. I'm hoping the wheel itself is ok. Looks pretty scarred up, but I'll assess it today in daylight.
Now decision. Replace 1, do all four. Wait. I'm soooo pissed.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, that didn't take long. I hit pothole last night and totally shredded damn tire. I'm hoping the wheel itself is ok. Looks pretty scarred up, but I'll assess it today in daylight.
Now decision. Replace 1, do all four. Wait. I'm soooo pissed.

How much tread wear you have on the other 3 tires? If its still more than 8/32 or so you can get 1 replacement tire. Try to keep the differences in tread depth less than 2/32 of inch so it doesnt cause strain on the quattro.

Quick Reply: Best all-season tire for 2016 Audi A7?