A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Brake pads light randomly goes on

Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pads light randomly goes on

Hi everyone,
In the past couple of thousand miles I had the Brake Pads light going on at least 3 times.
I turn off the car, back on and the light is gone.

I've just taken my 2014 A7 in for service at Audi and they couldn't find anything wrong.They say pads and rotors will be good for thousands of miles before replacement.

Anyone experienced this issue?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I can give you some info about the sensors. There are two sensors located on the inner pads of the left side calipers. The circuit is a simple loop of wire. When the pads wear down to ~3mm, the wire is worn through, the circuit goes open, and the light comes on.

If your sensors are intact, look at the electrical connections.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I can give you some info about the sensors. There are two sensors located on the inner pads of the left side calipers. The circuit is a simple loop of wire. When the pads wear down to ~3mm, the wire is worn through, the circuit goes open, and the light comes on.

If your sensors are intact, look at the electrical connections.
I have had some experience with this also. The sensors have a six inch or so wire pigtail that has a two typical VAG snap in connector. I have seen where a technician broke the locking mechanism on the VAG connector trying to open it, and just shoved the connector back together. After time, the connector loosened. A connector is about $6 or so on Ebay (a lot more from the dealer). I was able to push out the wire and pins from the old connector and insert them into the new connector shell. The whole area of the sensor connector and wiring is very exposed to debris, road salt and mishandling. If I had to guess, the issue is between the two pole VAG connector or the sensor wiring. If you put a jumper wire in the connector attached to the vehicle wiring harness, and the pad light stays out, you know the sensor is bad.