A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Calibration services.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Calibration services.

I’m in the process of replacing the windshield on my 2012 A7 Prestige, and I know that the camera behind the rear view mirror will need to be calibrated to make sure the adaptive cruise control and pre-sense work. The thing is, I really, REALLY don’t trust the service department at the local dealership, so I’m looking for other alternatives. Does anyone happen to know whether Audi limits this type of calibration services to dealerships, or is this something that a particularly well equipped independent shop might offer? I’m coming up empty in my search so far, but thought I’d check here before resigning myself to driving three hours to the next closest dealership.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoble33
I’m in the process of replacing the windshield on my 2012 A7 Prestige, and I know that the camera behind the rear view mirror will need to be calibrated to make sure the adaptive cruise control and pre-sense work. The thing is, I really, REALLY don’t trust the service department at the local dealership, so I’m looking for other alternatives. Does anyone happen to know whether Audi limits this type of calibration services to dealerships, or is this something that a particularly well equipped independent shop might offer? I’m coming up empty in my search so far, but thought I’d check here before resigning myself to driving three hours to the next closest dealership.
Doing the calibration involves some unique paraphernalia (like boards painted with special marks, rods with mirrors attached to the vehicle in certain places etc.) that the authorized service centers have on hand. Independent shops do not get enough calls for these specific calibration services (they are rarely required) so it doesn't pay them to make the considerable investment in the specialty tools required to perform the job.

It is not very likely that you will find anyone other than an authorized dealer to do the job.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, that's what I figured. Good thing it's a nice time of year for a road trip.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my A7 and wouldn't trade it for the world, but several times this week I've felt the brunt of it being something of a special snowflake service-wise. Things like the calibration being somewhat specialized I fully understand, but when I try to do something simple like get an alignment done and the mechanics react as if I've asked them to perform a brain transplant... Oh well, first world problems.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoble33
Yeah, that's what I figured. Good thing it's a nice time of year for a road trip.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my A7 and wouldn't trade it for the world, but several times this week I've felt the brunt of it being something of a special snowflake service-wise. Things like the calibration being somewhat specialized I fully understand, but when I try to do something simple like get an alignment done and the mechanics react as if I've asked them to perform a brain transplant... Oh well, first world problems.
Yes, you are right. Even the simple task of opening the brake calipers when replacing the pads requires a computer. We used to do that with a large C-clamp.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you locate? I am in SF bay area. I just happen to replace my Q7 windshield, the dealer quote me $2400 for just re-calibrate after replace windshield. I end up went to the same contractor that I saw when I was at the dealer. He did not charge me the calibration fee and I got half price for the OEM windshield, too.