A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Can the MMI use your phone's data plan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Once again, in a current US Audi, it would require different h a r d w a r e. If you want to make the investment in time, money and risk in taking apart your MMI electronics, swapping some kind of module and fooling around with the coding (which no one has documented anywhere), be my guest. I doubt you will find anyone here that would be willing to do that to their $65K car. Or toss money at such a project just to save $15 a month or less, even if they had an RSAP phone. Not to mention that one would still pay for the data on their phone unless they had an unlimited data plan. Pass.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Once again, in a current US Audi, it would require different h a r d w a r e. If you want to make the investment in time, money and risk in taking apart your MMI electronics, swapping some kind of module and fooling around with the coding (which no one has documented anywhere), be my guest. I doubt you will find anyone here that would be willing to do that to their $65K car. Or toss money at such a project just to save $15 a month or less, even if they had an RSAP phone. Not to mention that one would still pay for the data on their phone unless they had an unlimited data plan. Pass.
Your point is well taken. I probably won't try to do all that either if there is too much risk. I thought maybe there is a simple remedy without risking much. I do have Verizon unlimited plan (grandfathered) that has amazing 4G speed.

It's not about the money saved, it's about the fact that I would like to have control of the equipment I purchased. I bet you own Apple products I use Linux based computers and Open Source software every chance I get.

I understand you may not want to risk it, but I do Life is just a bit more fun if you take some calculated risks that do not involve your life.

This can only be answered by someone familiar with this kind of hardware. My limited experience is with hacking a few types of retail routers and bridges and unleashing their true power as in the DD-WRT project

Here is another article that explains the other projects and why it's useful.

After all, there is a wireless router in the MMI.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI IP

Has anyone gotten a response from the MMI IP? I can't seem to get anything back save a ping. Any way to get some feedback from the router in the system?
Old 05-11-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiphobe
Your point is well taken. I probably won't try to do all that either if there is too much risk. I thought maybe there is a simple remedy without risking much. I do have Verizon unlimited plan (grandfathered) that has amazing 4G speed.

It's not about the money saved, it's about the fact that I would like to have control of the equipment I purchased. I bet you own Apple products I use Linux based computers and Open Source software every chance I get.

I understand you may not want to risk it, but I do Life is just a bit more fun if you take some calculated risks that do not involve your life.

This can only be answered by someone familiar with this kind of hardware. My limited experience is with hacking a few types of retail routers and bridges and unleashing their true power as in the DD-WRT project

Here is another article that explains the other projects and why it's useful.

After all, there is a wireless router in the MMI.
Not sure what your comment about owning Apple products has to do with this.
All I can add is go for it and have fun. First though, you might want to call your dealer and book an appointment to have the MMI module replaced. You may need one when you're done having fun.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audiphobe
I don't think you guys understand that this can be done by some simple hacking. It's not my area of expertise but having a sim card slot and SD card gives you lots of options specifically connectivity. As someone that hacks Android phones on a regular basis, I have to tell you that I bet you that this can be done. I am posting this issue in some tech and wireless forums to see if someone can come up with something to re-configure this. I use my 2014 A7 as a test one and will report. This can be done and has to be done. Don't give up so easily.

I anyone has links or documents on the specifics of this system I'd appreciate it. Let the games begin Happy hacking
Would love to know a solution...
Old 03-20-2021, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looks like you can do it on later models:
Connect Your Car | myAudi FAQs | Audi UK

Old 03-20-2021, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

also this link:

Configuring the Audi MMI WiFi hot-spot | Notes from a Nerd (wordpress.com)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Look this thread
Change behaviour of MMI (link in this forum)