A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

center trim change

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center trim change

Hi guys,

Im searching for this for like an hour, with no luck (always find something for different models, etc.. ) so I finally decided to create a new thread.

does anyone has a picture/video tutorial how to remove the center console trim? I have the brushed aluminium and its a bit damaged so I wanted to changed it for a new one. Ive found some tuts, and it looks pretty complicated/time consuming so would like to see some real "how to" so I exactly know what to expect. pleeeease help me .

I only need to replace the aluminium part, no buttons or anything.

thanks a lot
Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Here you go - it's for the C6 but it should cover the basics:
DIY for center console removal? - AudiWorld Forums

You might consider wrapping the aluminum trim or trying to repair the damage. Ebay sometimes has parts that you can use for replacement. You can sell your old one there too. Someone might want to wrap it in carbon fiber/vinyl or paint it.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just finished that exact project.

Silver trim console trim had dents. Covered it with CF, matte coat and put all back.

Was fairly time-consuming task, basically you have to rip everything out that's central console. Start from gearshift ****, remove *gently* control panel around that, fairly straightforward from there. I can look, if I preserved manuals I acquired from local Audi dealership

Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Damned forum can't let modify posts.

In front there are 6 screws that you have to undo after clearing ****/control panel/ashtray/climate control.

At the rear you have to remove the rear air ducts/controls as well, beneath these ate 4 large bolts that holt the whole thing attached to the car. Remove these, and you can get the whole console out. And THEN you can unscrew the console trim part
Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by siim
Damned forum can't let modify posts.

In front there are 6 screws that you have to undo after clearing ****/control panel/ashtray/climate control.

At the rear you have to remove the rear air ducts/controls as well, beneath these ate 4 large bolts that holt the whole thing attached to the car. Remove these, and you can get the whole console out. And THEN you can unscrew the console trim part
Yes, you can modify posts. It is not by default though, you have to ask for edit rights to be assigned to you.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by siim
I just finished that exact project.

Silver trim console trim had dents. Covered it with CF, matte coat and put all back.

Was fairly time-consuming task, basically you have to rip everything out that's central console. Start from gearshift ****, remove *gently* control panel around that, fairly straightforward from there. I can look, if I preserved manuals I acquired from local Audi dealership

thanks siim. so what You say, is that I need to remove the WHOLE center (from front heating panel to rear heating ???) .. I thought its just the buttons around the shift ****, and under that I would find a few screws and that should to it.. .. Im not able to wrap it, because there are small hollows in it .. but found a new trim kit for around 200 euros, so thats nothing
Old 09-11-2015, 01:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

gosh, ever since I saw Your carbon wrap, Im thinking about going for it ..

anyway, how is it with the thickness of the wrap? doesnt it make a mess once wrapped? Meaning, isnt it a bit bigger (with additional layer - wrap) so it wont fit that well?

how much (approx.) cost to wrap the whole trim? I have an opportunity to have the walnut wood trim for 140 euros so not sure if the wrap is the way to go for me...

thanks,
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Disstrict
...I need to remove the WHOLE center (from front heating panel to rear heating ???)...
Unfortunately, yes. Every other piece of trim in the vehicle can be pulled in 10 seconds. That one darn piece in the middle requires the ENTIRE center console to be removed in order to access the screws that hold it in. Frustrating, I know.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Disstrict
anyway, how is it with the thickness of the wrap? doesnt it make a mess once wrapped? Meaning, isnt it a bit bigger (with additional layer - wrap) so it wont fit that well?
Vinyl wrap isn't very thick. Electrical tape is 7 mil and vinyl wrap isn't much thicker than that. It has a backing that is removed just before applying and when heated, most ordinary vinyl stretches. There are some types that don't stretch such as metallics.

Spray on some water with soap, apply the vinyl and use a credit card sized piece of plastic to work the bubbles and water from underneath. There should be many DIY and "How To" videos on YouTube.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Unfortunately, yes. Every other piece of trim in the vehicle can be pulled in 10 seconds. That one darn piece in the middle requires the ENTIRE center console to be removed in order to access the screws that hold it in. Frustrating, I know.
I can confirm that it's a big pain, and the entire center shell has to be removed to get to the underside screws that hold the trim. Probably ended up taking me 6 hours, to change out the center trim and ashtray trim (from glossy to matte wood) (and also hardwire a couple things in the ashtray while I had everything exposed).

Quick Reply: center trim change