A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked Windshield

I have a small 6" crack in the lower middle of my windshield where it meets the hood. The insurance company asked if I wanted it repaired or replaced. Apparently they can repair cracks that can be covered by a dollar bill.

Is it better to get it repaired or replaced?

Is there anything else I should be concerned with? I don't have heads-up or adaptive cruise.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your time repairing a crack that large. It can't be repaired where you won't be able see it. I had a small chip repaired in our A4 last December and after the repair, it wasn't that noticeable, but you could see it if you knew where to look.

About 4 months after the repair, the crack started to grow. I then had the windshield replaced by Safe Lite. It only took about an hour and all went well. I have had no leaks and all is good. I requested them to use an Audi OEM windshield which they did. Make sure you specify this because the original windshield has a dampening affect to reduce noise. My auto insurance covered all cost for the repair and replacement.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just went through this myself...same size and location. If it can be repaired, I'd recommend you go that route. If not, demand OEM glass and see if your insurance will cover the installation at a place of your choosing, including an Audi service center.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHZHD
If not, demand OEM glass
Thank you for the replies.

My insurance provider (Liberty Mutual) is telling me they will only cover generic DOT specification glass and not OEM.

Generic glass (Safelite AutoGlass) is $617 and fully covered. OEM is an additional $511 that I would need to pay out of pocket.

Is there any real advantage to OEM glass? Since this is a leased car that I need to return in 3 months, I don't think I want to pay any extra (unless I decide to buy the car at lease end).

Thoughts?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

My first round was with Safelite using generic glass. Tech assured me the only difference was the lack of an Audi logo. His installation was so poorly done (massive gap at the top of the glass where it meets the roof) that I had it redone at an Audi dealership using OEM glass; my insurance/Safelite covered this second round.

Similar stories can be found throughout these forums. Two commons themes are: 1) Incorrect installation and 2) Non-OEM glass.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Been there, done that.
I had a chip that was in my line of sight. My insurance company said I had to have it repaired and if that didn't work to my satisfaction, they would replace the windshield. Tech comes out to my house and repairs the chip. More or less ok and before I decided to accept or keep, the next day the repaired chip turned into a 10" crack. The insurance company will replace and i ask for Audi OEM, Some hemming and hawing but they agreed. Don't settle for anything but OEM glass.

Also, be sure the tech replaces the windshield gel pack with a new one or your rain sensor will not work properly. Been there, done that too.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you all for your help. My insurance provider agreed to the OEM glass, and we confirmed the gel pack as noted by snagitseven. Service is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and I expect everything will go smoothly.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Make sure they are careful with the rear view mirror trim piece they cracked mine and I did not realize it until they left.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lucky you have either option. Within the first week of having my car I had a windshield issue. Took it to the dealer and was told its a surface nick so can't be filled. Took it to safelight hoping to hear different and was told the same thing. Its the size of a pen tip but pisses me off since I just got the car.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

That makes no sense. Even if it is just a nick, they can grind it out and fill it. Go to a different repair place!

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield