UK: "Gearbox malfunction - You can continue driving"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: "Gearbox malfunction - You can continue driving"

Hi there,
I've been having an issue with my A7 TDI
Every so often (and especially when cold) the car jump forward from a stationary position. At times it does it even in one of the other lower gears, but not so "violently".
I just need to slightly press the foot on the accelerator and the car jerks/jump forward making a loud noise as if I hit something.
This evening while parking the car, I put it in reverse and the car did it again; the noise was so loud I thought I hit the car behind..scary moment!
I looked at the dashboard and the "Gearbox malfunction" came up
I turned the car off and on again and the sign disappeared, but this doesn't make me any happier.
It seems to me that in the last couple of weeks the car fuel efficiency has slightly decrease, and my wife is convinced that the car makes a "new/different" noise when driving at speed (like a rhythmic/repetitive sound)
About two weeks ago we have also noticed a little pool of - looked like oil? - right near the bonnet, but I didn't think it was from our car and I have not seen any spill again since.
I took the car to an Audi mechanic to sort out the above issue a couple of months ago and he said he didn't notice anything strange.
He plugged in the computer and things looked ok. Although he saw the coolant was low and said the cap needed replacing it since he found no leaks. I checked today and the coolant level is low again.
I really don't know much about cars and I have no idea if any of the above are linked, but I thought I'd give you the complete picture.
Could someone advise on what might be causing the car jumping?
Many thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 A7 and have the same symptoms. At first I noticed a couple of jerks, just like you described, when starting to move from stationary position and then I got same "Gearbox Mailfunction - You can continue driving". I let the car sleep over night and in the next morning, on first (cold) start the same message appeared straight away. The car is at a repair shop at the moment and after resetting the error codes they have not been able to reproduce them. They have been testing, and driving, the car now two days and it works perfectly. They are speculating that a faulty connector might have given a faulty read from a sensor and that caused the warning.

I would also like to know if someone has had similar problems and the reasons behind them.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue

I have an Audi A7 2011 3.0tdi with this same issue as above jumping forward shaking the whole car when coming down to gear one like it’s just crashed into something, today though the gearbox malfunction safe to continue drive limited functionality error code came up first time I’ve seen that , then turned engine off and on and warning has disappeared but the jerking is still persisting anyone with any more information on this I would be grateful thanks
Old 02-24-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

How many miles do you guys have?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KevinGary
How many miles do you guys have?
i have 77k just been to Audi for its second gearbox oil change too last month
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my gearbox (mechatronic) and transmission replaced at 44k on my 2016 Audi A7 3.0T due to jerking and lurching and some engine surges over last summer. It was all covered under warranty. Check out audizine, lot of people ith the C7 A6 and A7 had them replaced along with some S7 and RS7.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Audi a7 worried about a problem please help Thanks alot

Originally Posted by kpajunen
I have a 2011 A7 and have the same symptoms. At first I noticed a couple of jerks, just like you described, when starting to move from stationary position and then I got same "Gearbox Mailfunction - You can continue driving". I let the car sleep over night and in the next morning, on first (cold) start the same message appeared straight away. The car is at a repair shop at the moment and after resetting the error codes they have not been able to reproduce them. They have been testing, and driving, the car now two days and it works perfectly. They are speculating that a faulty connector might have given a faulty read from a sensor and that caused the warning.

I would also like to know if someone has had similar problems and the reasons behind them.
Well I use to have an Audi a7 2011 quattro 300bhp nice drive no issues sold it bought new 2012 audi a7 204 bhp the thing with this one is from standstill if I put my foot down it feels like the front tyres are gona come off they kinda wobble for few seconds then they ate fine nothing like that happened with my quattro noticed one thing this one has all four tyres same 265 20 inch I think they should be different ??? Plus now another issue it developed today is when I put it in reverse front tyres feels like are wobbly for a second I can feel the jolt only in reverse tho.is my transmission going ??? Hope not ....what COULD it be I wonder PERHAPS it should have like thinner tyres in front and wider in back ? Like my old quattro ?? Or what this jolt is about quick fit said everything seems to be alrit but it was before this jolt thing in reverse happened....IAM worried about it why is my reverse gear doing it ? I can feel like front tyres move/jolt before the car starts reversing..any ideas or help would be highly appreciated. Thanks alot Multitronic 8 speed 2012 audi a7 204bhp sline
Old 03-03-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have size 275/35R20 tires in front and no issues with wobbly feel. If you put it in rear and feel a jolt it's likely your mechatronic unit (gearbox). Take a technician for a drive and show him.

Originally Posted by Imy romi
Well I use to have an Audi a7 2011 quattro 300bhp nice drive no issues sold it bought new 2012 audi a7 204 bhp the thing with this one is from standstill if I put my foot down it feels like the front tyres are gona come off they kinda wobble for few seconds then they ate fine nothing like that happened with my quattro noticed one thing this one has all four tyres same 265 20 inch I think they should be different ??? Plus now another issue it developed today is when I put it in reverse front tyres feels like are wobbly for a second I can feel the jolt only in reverse tho.is my transmission going ??? Hope not ....what COULD it be I wonder PERHAPS it should have like thinner tyres in front and wider in back ? Like my old quattro ?? Or what this jolt is about quick fit said everything seems to be alrit but it was before this jolt thing in reverse happened....IAM worried about it why is my reverse gear doing it ? I can feel like front tyres move/jolt before the car starts reversing..any ideas or help would be highly appreciated. Thanks alot Multitronic 8 speed 2012 audi a7 204bhp sline
Old 03-03-2019, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I have size 275/35R20 tires in front and no issues with wobbly feel. If you put it in rear and feel a jolt it's likely your mechatronic unit (gearbox). Take a technician for a drive and show him.
thanks for reply but it's an expensive repair ? IAM guessing yes I have warranty direct but I don't know how it works.

I hope it's not that unit mate had a problem with other A7 was expensive repair could it not be something else ? I mean it drives fine smooth gear change no problems atall I have also noticed when I drive on rough road I feel like front tyres are gona come off kinda wobbly...Well i will see how it goes

thanks
Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Imy romi
thanks for reply but it's an expensive repair ? IAM guessing yes I have warranty direct but I don't know how it works.

I hope it's not that unit mate had a problem with other A7 was expensive repair could it not be something else ? I mean it drives fine smooth gear change no problems atall I have also noticed when I drive on rough road I feel like front tyres are gona come off kinda wobbly...Well i will see how it goes

thanks
one more thing from a standstill if I kick down for hard acceleration front tyres wobble for few seconds and then it's ok ....I put running box from tdi tuning I guess it was doing it's job but after that box I fit box in it wobbles same from standstill and almost triggers ESP on.

Quick Reply: UK: "Gearbox malfunction - You can continue driving"