A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question

OK, I might have missed posts on this, but yesterday the TPMS warning light came on and after resetting the system I tried to find the digital display of tire pressures, but could not. Could not find reference to it in the the manual either. My 08 D3 has a very accurate digital display in tenths of a pound. Did Audi stop including the tire pressure display in the A7? Seems like a step backwards, as I regularly check pressure and make any adjustment on the D3 as necessary. Removing dust caps and manually checking pressure is sub-optimal given available technology.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is not a step backwards, it is a class lower than the A8, just like the exact same 3.0 TDI in the A7 is not as powerful(a matter of soft tuning, I believe) as the one in the A8.

I paid 75.200 Euros for my A7, and for this price, a car should dance for you and do the moonwalk upon request, but Audi thinks that our A7's are not exclusive enough to incorporate displays and pressurizing mechanisms for the tires.

As a solution, fill your tires with N2(nitrogen) instead of O2(oxygen) and make sure your TPMS is fully functional and reliable, and your tires should keep their pressure for at least 6 months.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Nitrogen. That old urban legend again. Or you could fill your tires with helium and it will be lighter on it's feet.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oxygen leaks out of tires faster. Nitrogen maintains tire pressure longer than oxygen. The oxygen molecules in compressed air are smaller and leak out three to four times faster. Also, ny system that delivers pure nitrogen is also going to deliver dry nitrogen. Filling tires with nitrogen involves filling and purging several times in succession, serially diluting the concentration of oxygen in the tire. This will also remove any water.

Am I missing anything?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Adi Mitrache
Oxygen leaks out of tires faster. Nitrogen maintains tire pressure longer than oxygen. The oxygen molecules in compressed air are smaller and leak out three to four times faster. Also, ny system that delivers pure nitrogen is also going to deliver dry nitrogen. Filling tires with nitrogen involves filling and purging several times in succession, serially diluting the concentration of oxygen in the tire. This will also remove any water.

Am I missing anything?
Your source material. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iewsemaj
lol
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually, I believe the same is true for the D4 4.2, which is surprising. There is a recent post on the D4 forum that discusses TMPS.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

They no longer use a sender inside the tire to determine tire pressure. Makes it easier to change tires and four less electronics to go wrong. They are using the ABS sensor instead.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually like the idea of the ABS TPMS system. New law REQUIRES that any time you put tires on a vehicle with TPMS, it MUST have the sensors in the tire. I swap snow tires/wheels in the winter that do not have the TPMS sensors and Discount Tire will no longer swap them out for me. Wanted to charge me $120 per wheel to install the sensors. Gotta love government mandates. Although I did like my Acura TPMS that gave me the exact pressure in each tire. Here we rely on the fact that we set the tire inflation as a baseline and hope we did not screw up the initial reading.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Nitrogen. That old urban legend again. Or you could fill your tires with helium and it will be lighter on it's feet.
I tried Helium. Got great mileage but it took a long time to stop.

Quick Reply: TPMS question