A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Headlight question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight question...

Hello,

I just got a 2013 A7 Premium Plus...it came with the "Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights" (as stated on the window sticker).

Does anyone know what this lamp is for (see attached picture, I have circled it in red)? Nothing I do turns it on and it's not specifically mentioned in the User Manual.

Further, the sales people, service advisors and online Audi technical support people don't know what it's for either (?!).

Thanks...Mark
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeselnik
Hello,

I just got a 2013 A7 Premium Plus...it came with the "Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights" (as stated on the window sticker).

Does anyone know what this lamp is for (see attached picture, I have circled it in red)? Nothing I do turns it on and it's not specifically mentioned in the User Manual.

Further, the sales people, service advisors and online Audi technical support people don't know what it's for either (?!).

Thanks...Mark
Isn't the high beams?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

High beams are part and parcel of the bi-xenon projector. I suspect that it's either a fog lamp or cornering lamp.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello,

Thanks...Mark
It's a fog lamp.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Not the high beam or fog light...

Hi guys...thanks for the comments, but keep trying please...

It's not the high beam as that is part of the bi-xenon (as DeerHunter mentioned). That was easily tested and the xenons get brighter and these bulbs don't light up when you turn on the brights or flash them.

It's not the fog lights as the fog light switch doesn't turn them on and per the manual the fog light switch is for the 'rear fog lights'. And it does turn on the rear fog lights.

As DeerHunter mentioned, it may be a cornering lamp, but after researching/testing I suspect that's part of the 'Adaptive xenon plus headlights' (which are only available on the Prestige). It is mentioned briefly/vaugely in the manual to turn on the Adaptive lighting in the MMI and with the light switch in 'auto' you would have conering lamps. But I don't have that option in the MMI. Also, I tried to get them to turn on with the turn signals or just by turning the steering wheel...I have tested both of these with the car in motion and someone watching, those bulbs don't come on.

I'm open to any and all ideas...thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys...thanks for the comments, but keep trying please...

It's not the high beam as that is part of the bi-xenon (as DeerHunter mentioned). That was easily tested and the xenons get brighter and these bulbs don't light up when you turn on the brights or flash them.

It's not the fog lights as the fog light switch doesn't turn them on and per the manual the fog light switch is for the 'rear fog lights'. And it does turn on the rear fog lights.

As DeerHunter mentioned, it may be a cornering lamp, but after researching/testing I suspect that's part of the 'Adaptive xenon plus headlights' (which are only available on the Prestige). It is mentioned briefly/vaugely in the manual to turn on the Adaptive lighting in the MMI and with the light switch in 'auto' you would have conering lamps. But I don't have that option in the MMI. Also, I tried to get them to turn on with the turn signals or just by turning the steering wheel...I have tested both of these with the car in motion and someone watching, those bulbs don't come on.

I'm open to any and all ideas...thanks!
Ask snagitseven, he's better than Carnack.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it nothing, I know that sounds weird, but its the truth. Its a non functional turning light in the premium plus. I have a premium plus, and challenged the dealer, until they finally called Audi for the answer.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

From the AudiUK website:

"Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime-running lights and kerb lights is standard on A7 Sportback."

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a7/a7...eadlights.html

----------------------

It may be a Euro thing that's not used here in the US.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
Ask snagitseven, he's better than Carnack.
I think you meant Carnak (the Magnificent).
Ok, I think it's a....well, let me see...umm, ok, it's for the, ah, hmm... you know, it's the whatchamacallit doohicky thing. Maybe?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Put some bulbs in it, power them up and see where the light falls.

Quick Reply: Headlight question...