A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

HIGH MILEAGE Audi A7

Old 03-24-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGH MILEAGE Audi A7

Hello Everyone,

I'll keep this short since I know this question has been asked before. I am currently interested in buying a used Audi A7. In fact I've pretty much got my heart set of it.

The cars within my area and budget are all 2013-2015's with 50k-70k miles on them.

Im certain there are some of you own here with cars in that range. So are there any known issues I should be careful of? If I find a good deal should I go for it?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm at 80K mmiles on my 2012 A7 and they're very reliable. i wouldn't be too concerned as long as you've verified the service history. Better yet, if you can find a CPO one at an audi dealer, you'll have peace of mind with the extended warranty.
There are a couple of common failure items in the earlier models to look out for and see if they've been addressed (ie. thermostat, EPC valve)
Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by a7lex
Hello Everyone,

I'll keep this short since I know this question has been asked before. I am currently interested in buying a used Audi A7. In fact I've pretty much got my heart set of it.

The cars within my area and budget are all 2013-2015's with 50k-70k miles on them.

Im certain there are some of you own here with cars in that range. So are there any known issues I should be careful of? If I find a good deal should I go for it?

Thanks in advanced.
Hello, I was recently in your boat and looking at A7's. I picked up a 2012 A7 with the Innovation Package and upsized wheels with approx 75k on it. Before purchasing I talked to an Audi tech and he pulled up the service history and said everything looked good. However, with that he also stated the control arm bushings are probably the biggest issue with these cars. They're made of standard rubber and wear out. He also stated that if the dealership will let you take it to an Audi dealership to be looked over before purchase.

I live in MD and bought from a Mazda dealership near my house that claimed the vehicle was MD State inspected and passed. I've been bit in the backside by this before by this claim from other dealerships. I took it to the closest Audi dealership for an inspection and they found a motor mount was bad (approx $850 to replace) and the window tint was too dark by approx 7%. I then took it back to the place I bought it and they reinspected the items and ordered a new motor mount.

As far as the tint they will remove. They weren't too surprised at that one so I suspect they put the tint on themselves after inspection. I'd also like to find out what level the factory tint is so I car have new tint on that will be legal. MD stinks in the fact that the back windows can't be darker than the sides for a car. however, a SUV can be as dark as you want.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I purchased a used 2015 A7 a few months ago. It had 19000 miles on it. So far I love it. The rotors were bad when I got it (vibration when braking). I found a post on this forum that reports this is common. Higher mileage cars will likely already have had the rotors changed but if not - that's unusual. When you do replace them buy good quality after market rotors not Audi parts because the Audi brand will likely go bad earlier than they should. Dealer wanted $1200 to replace them and would only split the cost with me under warranty. You can get them done for half that at a brake shop with high quality rotors. The only other annoying things I observed is the auto lock button on the door handle with key fob in the pocket doesn't work well nor does the trunk kick. Other than that I get 25 -27 mpg on the freeway (dash instrument gauge says 28 to 29). Good luck.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have over 130k on mine. I have had no issues except the MMI screen going dark. There is a current recall, a second one, for the fuel lines on it. Someone mentioned control arm bushing here but I have yet to seen that. Mine still drives like new and in my opinion a solid car.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (07-06-2021)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, this gives me a little more confidence in a purchase. I'm definitely going to have a prebuy inspection done first, and I'll keep an eye out for the more common issues with the MMI. I'd still like to find a cpo if possible.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys, this gives me a little more confidence in a purchase. I'm definitely going to have a prebuy inspection done first, and I'll keep an eye out for the more common issues with the MMI. I'd still like to find a cpo if possible.

You can also get the VIN and call a local Audi shop and see if they will look through the records. They may be looking at the Carfax just like we do but you never know.

Use this link that another member [posted for me to pull up the Original window sticker to see what options the car has

The Ultimate Window Sticker / VIN Decoder Tool - Wikilender
Old 03-28-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, keep in mind a private seller with an original CPO car can also transfer that CPO warranty to a buyer just one time. Might give you some more buying options..

Good luck
Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm around 133K on mine. I bought it right at 100K from a retired couple in FL. I've had a few issues to deal with, but nothing that would change my mind if I was able to. I absolutely love the car, and get way more compliments on it then I ever did with my S5. I added a stage 1 tune and a solid rear sway bar, and have fun in the twisty-turnies.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (07-06-2021)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
I'm around 133K on mine. I bought it right at 100K from a retired couple in FL. I've had a few issues to deal with, but nothing that would change my mind if I was able to. I absolutely love the car, and get way more compliments on it then I ever did with my S5. I added a stage 1 tune and a solid rear sway bar, and have fun in the twisty-turnies.

Good luck!
Which sway bar? End links too? Did it affect every day ride quality? I've been thinking about a rear sway now that i'm about to do a stage 2 tune on it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HIGH MILEAGE Audi A7