A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

HIGH MILEAGE Audi A7

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with 034 motorsports bar with end links. I doesn't affect ride quality, but the extra stiffness is appreciated even in my daily drive since I can take corners more quickly. The sway bar upgrade is well worth it. I didn't do the front because I read that it increases understeer, and I don't want that in the north georgia/north carolina/tennessee foothills and mountains.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. As if my mind wasn't made up already, hearing this certainly helps. Now it's a matter of waiting for the right deal, unfortunately it seems these cars don't show up too often in the Boston area so i'm going to have to be patient. Also, out of curiosity, what are some of the issues you've had to deal with?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

a7lex, I am in the same boat as you...

I am also looking into buying a used high-mileage A7 (~75-100k) and am interested in what these common issues are... I have read about the timing chain tensioner going bad on 2012-15 models, but it seems like by the time one of these reaches 100k that issue should have been taken care of already. Who has the highest mileage A7 here? Bring on the common issues!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I found these two:
https://www.audinashua.com/used/Audi...4d03f6d7ce.htm

https://www.audinashua.com/used/Audi...6856ee4a8c.htm

Both fairly low miles and reasonably priced.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

there are plenty of them around Boston but many from those dubious dealers. I took a chance when I purchased mine from one of those dealers and knock on wood, I have had a relatively flawless ownership. I bought it with over 100k on it, it had a clean carfax and looked pristine. my only issue was the MMI screen going dark, I just fixed that as the dealer wanted $$$ to fix it. It was a matter of two fatigued and broken wires. Other than that, it is a fun car to have
Old 04-18-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can always ask the seller if you can take it to an Audi place for a pre-purchase inspection. Or do what I did and had a service center look over the Carefax and tell me if it looks like it was properly cared for. Depending on state you can have a post purchase inspection done and if any of the items are state inspection items the selling dealership must either repair in house or pay for the work to be done. Again, what i had done. Saved me about $1000 for items covered that weren't caught by the selling dealership.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davepjr71
Hello, I was recently in your boat and looking at A7's. I picked up a 2012 A7 with the Innovation Package and upsized wheels with approx 75k on it. Before purchasing I talked to an Audi tech and he pulled up the service history and said everything looked good. However, with that he also stated the control arm bushings are probably the biggest issue with these cars. They're made of standard rubber and wear out. He also stated that if the dealership will let you take it to an Audi dealership to be looked over before purchase.

I live in MD and bought from a Mazda dealership near my house that claimed the vehicle was MD State inspected and passed. I've been bit in the backside by this before by this claim from other dealerships. I took it to the closest Audi dealership for an inspection and they found a motor mount was bad (approx $850 to replace) and the window tint was too dark by approx 7%. I then took it back to the place I bought it and they reinspected the items and ordered a new motor mount.

As far as the tint they will remove. They weren't too surprised at that one so I suspect they put the tint on themselves after inspection. I'd also like to find out what level the factory tint is so I car have new tint on that will be legal. MD stinks in the fact that the back windows can't be darker than the sides for a car. however, a SUV can be as dark as you want.

Good luck on your purchase.
I'm in MD also and just picked up a 2015 out of AZ. I could tell by the pictures that the tint would never pass MD State Inspection, so I had it removed by the dealer in AZ. Cost me $200 to get it professionally removed, but the car passed MD inspection without issue. Its been a fun car so far for the 2 weeks that it's been in my stable.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm looking at a 2012 Prestige with about 78k Miles. the carfax has the car driven relatively hard by the last owner as "pick up" service. Also not too keen on the dealer but got him to agree to take it to an audi dealer for inspection at my expense (250 bucks). Hoping the inspection doesn't reveal anything glaring because I now have my heart set on this baby! side note- the insurance on this thing blew my mind! my premium shot up when i was quoted through all the major insurers to around 2600 for the year compared to 1150 before. (North of age 25 with no accidents or tickets) Anybody else's jump up on them like that?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2012 Prestige with around 60k miles. Just a few things so far, EGR valve replaced, battery replaced and control arm bushings as has been previously discussed. Maintenance isn't particularly cheap, but if you take care of the car it should be good to you. If it's been serviced regularly I wouldn't worry a whole lot. Brakes and Tires may come up in an inspection. FYI- Brakes are around 1100/pair for fronts, and 800ish/pair for rears. Definitely recommend an Audi dealership do those, as others could screw up the electrobrake mechanism.

As far as insurance... I'm in Montana, and 28 years old--mine is 1600/year with progressive. Shop around, another company may be substantially less.

Crossing my fingers everything looks good. It's a great car, and a lot of fun.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jexxs1
I'm looking at a 2012 Prestige with about 78k Miles. the carfax has the car driven relatively hard by the last owner as "pick up" service. Also not too keen on the dealer but got him to agree to take it to an audi dealer for inspection at my expense (250 bucks). Hoping the inspection doesn't reveal anything glaring because I now have my heart set on this baby! side note- the insurance on this thing blew my mind! my premium shot up when i was quoted through all the major insurers to around 2600 for the year compared to 1150 before. (North of age 25 with no accidents or tickets) Anybody else's jump up on them like that?
About the same mileage as mine when I bought it. Was the 75k done? That's a big one and if done you should be pretty good. Great that you are having it inspected. $250 seems steep unless you are doing a detailed one since you don't trust the place.

My insurance is around $1600 but I'm 47 and have 2 other cars and 2 houses with Nationwide. You may want to check them out. No one has beaten them yet for all of my stuff combined.

Quick Reply: HIGH MILEAGE Audi A7