A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Issues after fuel pump recall?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after fuel pump recall?

Just got the car back from getting the fuel pump recall fixed. Everything seemed fine until the car sat in the garage overnight. When I walked in the smell of gas in the garage and in the car was overwhelming. No leaks or anything that I can see under the car. Dealer said they remove the backseat to access the fuel pump so I am wondering if something is leaking back there?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

I had the same thing happen after the fuel rail recall on the 3.0. I had no fuel smell until after the "mechanics" performed the recall. Called the dealer and was told it was probably just some fuel that was spilled during the fix. Fuel smell persisted, and I insisted that dealer take another look at it. They found a leak - stated that it was a defective connection! BS, the mechanics are paid on flat-rate, and the faster they get a job done, the more $ they make in a day. Just poor quality workmanship. Get it back to the dealer if the smell persists. Gasoline evaporates very quickly, so any spilled fuel should be gone in a short period of time. However, if they spilled fuel on the carpet, it may last longer than fuel spilled in the engine bay.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would take it back and have them check it out.

The tank is on the passenger side forward of the rear tire. If the leak was large, it would drip off of the bottom of the tank. That would leave a trail in the dirt on the tank.

Since it's likely to be the line from the new pump, it would only leak when the engine is running. A small amount of gas seeping from the line could make a large amount of smell and little if any drip.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is something that always worries in regards to those recalls. Is it actually better to not to do recalls vs doing the recalls? The risks outweigh the benefits?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a gas smell after the recall but only because the gas tank was full when I brought the car in and some gas splilled out when they did the service. It went away after a couple of days. You might have the same problem. They should state that the tank should not be full when they ask to do this recall but nothing was stated on my recall letter.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They advised to have less than a half a tank before bringing it in. It had about 1/4 tank when the dealer fixed it. Now the dealer isn't calling me back and I've been working 7a-7p the last few days and haven't been able to just take the car in person. Typical behavior from local dealership. They aren't the most professional. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sbickett
They advised to have less than a half a tank before bringing it in. It had about 1/4 tank when the dealer fixed it. Now the dealer isn't calling me back and I've been working 7a-7p the last few days and haven't been able to just take the car in person. Typical behavior from local dealership. They aren't the most professional. Thanks for all the replies!
I had no smell whatsoever after i did the recall. Make sure you escalate to the dealership mgr, and if needed to Audi corporate.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had my dealer perform the recall as part of a larger service, they screwed up.

The retaining ring on the fuel pump that mounts in the gas tank was not sealed properly, and only leaked after a full tank of gas. I pulled the rear seat and and saw the obvious issue then fixed it in 5 minutes.

I was pissed and let the dealer know, but its is an easy fix to center the ring correctly and reseal. No issues since I fixed it.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update on this whole issue: last week I got the "add 1 quart of oil" warning. So I pop the hood and do my thing. Then I notice a long strange green thing sticking out of the engine block that I have never noticed before. The mechanic left a tool in the engine! So I drive out to the dealer and go walking in with it and ask to speak to the manager. At first I don't think he believed me until I had him bring out a mechanic from the back who verified that it is a tool they use and a brand they use. Said it's used to pry off the engine cover. All they could say after that was "go get your car and pull it into the service entrance and we will make sure nothing in the engine bay was damaged" this was during a heavy down pour.... tossed them the keys and said "be my guest"

Gasoline smell has dissipated but the car is just now needing another full tank. So I guess I have that to look forward to at some point today!

Last time I will ever use this dealership.
Attached Thumbnails Issues after fuel pump recall?-photo460.jpg  
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's pretty bad sbickett. Imagine what that could have done if it contacted the supercharger belt or serpentine belt... could have catapulted it into the bottom of your hood or much much worse. It's pretty bad when we can't even trust certain factory trained techs. Let us know the dealer would you-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issues after fuel pump recall?