A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

LED Headlights - Light Malfunction.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Headlights - Light Malfunction.

I've had intermittent problems with a light malfunction warning on my A7.

It would happen once a month about 5k miles ago. Now I'm at 11k miles and it happens every other day. It seems to only happens when it is cold out and when the headlights are on. And when I make a right turn enough to make the turn assist lights come on. I've looked around the vehicle and all lights are working fine, even the right turn signal and assist lights.

I took the car to the dealer last Thursday. They were not able to replicate the problem. They were able to find the error when they scanned the system. Audi instructed them to clear the codes and check the plug. I was informed by the dealer that Audi told them there is no current solution and that they are working on a fix. 2nd day after I got my car back the light malfunction indicator starts coming on again.

It is very annoying that when ever I make a right turn at night with the light on, the warning comes up on the display and there is a warning chime.

Does anyone have a similar issue? or a fix from their dealer?

I know the outside lights are working and it is safe, but the warning when ever I turn is driving me crazy. I expected better of Audi but I feel like I got brushed off by them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/70K-Zjh6LQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the exact same issue. My headlights need to be on, left blinker on, and making a left turn. It seems to only occur when it's been raining for a few days, so I'm guessing it's a moisture issue. My car goes in for its 5k miles service soon.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Piekas
I have the exact same issue. My headlights need to be on, left blinker on, and making a left turn. It seems to only occur when it's been raining for a few days, so I'm guessing it's a moisture issue. My car goes in for its 5k miles service soon.
Make sure to let the dealer know. Even if it doesn't happen the day you take it in they can pull the codes and know that its happened. Hopefully once more people with the issue come forward Audi will have more pressure to provide a fix.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iewsemaj
I've had intermittent problems with a light malfunction warning on my A7.

It would happen once a month about 5k miles ago. Now I'm at 11k miles and it happens every other day. It seems to only happens when it is cold out and when the headlights are on. And when I make a right turn enough to make the turn assist lights come on. I've looked around the vehicle and all lights are working fine, even the right turn signal and assist lights.

I took the car to the dealer last Thursday. They were not able to replicate the problem. They were able to find the error when they scanned the system. Audi instructed them to clear the codes and check the plug. I was informed by the dealer that Audi told them there is no current solution and that they are working on a fix. 2nd day after I got my car back the light malfunction indicator starts coming on again.

It is very annoying that when ever I make a right turn at night with the light on, the warning comes up on the display and there is a warning chime.

Does anyone have a similar issue? or a fix from their dealer?

I know the outside lights are working and it is safe, but the warning when ever I turn is driving me crazy. I expected better of Audi but I feel like I got brushed off by them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/70K-Zjh6LQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have the same exact problem, thank God, its not only me, 3 nights in a row.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Issue has been discussed before and it's an easy dealer fix:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2821457
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ambarsaria
Actually, no. That thread is about an A4 with regular or HID lights. THIS thread is about LED lights. Night and Day difference (pun intended!)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ambarsaria
Yea I have seen and checked your thread as well. But you stated you got a fix from having a headlight replaced. My dealer was not authorized to change out the headlight.

The dealer I went to was advised by Audi to wait for a fix.

Maybe the problem is rooted deeper then just a headlight malfunction, possibly a programming error. I really don't know.

I have attached a copy of my service invoice. This is what it said about the problem.

"CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE LIGHT MALFUCTION WARNING COMES ON WHEN TURNING
FOUND SPORDIAC FAULT FOR RIGHT HEADLAMP
CONTACTED TECH LINE FOR FAULT IN VEHILE AND WAS TOLD TO CHECK CONNECTION AND FOUND THAT CONNECTOR IN OK WAS TOLD TO CLEAR FAULT AND RELEASE VEHILE THAT THERE WILL BE A FIX FOR PROBLEM IN VECHILE
GFF 55"

My intention for the post was to get more people who have the issue let their local dealer know. And hopefully audi will have a proper resolve for the problem.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Squalo
Actually, no. That thread is about an A4 with regular or HID lights. THIS thread is about LED lights. Night and Day difference (pun intended!)

Actually, that thread is from the A7 section. What makes you say that it's an A4 thread?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Actually, that thread is from the A7 section. What makes you say that it's an A4 thread?
I'm an idiot.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe my problem was 100% same as yours except the message would disappear after about 2 seconds upon appearing. It also appeared when car was cold, and when turning.

In my case, the dealer was very good about it and over-nighted new headlight assembly, removed the bumper and replaced the headlight assembly and the problem never appeared since. It may be a small glitch like programming error but seemed to go away with the replacement. I've been happy since so instead of waiting and waiting, if you can get the dealer to replace, it might be worth it. "Waiting" for the fix might take many weeks to even months! I don't think A7 customers want to be unhappy getting that malfunction message every time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Light Malfunction.