A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

LED Headlights? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Headlights? Yes or No

I saw an A8 on the road tonight with the full LED headlights. Wow! They look incredible...like nothing else on the road. Is it worth $1,400? What do you think?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It wasn't to me. I like the Xeon's I have on my MB and did not see the upside in visibility. Of course I have no direct knowledge of using LEDs, but the Xeon are great.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am not aware of Audi using full LED for headlamps. When reading about the R18tdi and the full LED lamps on the race car, the PR release from Audi state that LED are not road legal yet for full headlamps....so now I am confused...
Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

My A7 has all LED lights and it is legal!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The R18 LED lights are illegal on road because of the brightness level. Mercedes and Audi are now offering full LED lights on some models and they are perfectly legal (and look great also).
Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I bought my A8 the LED headlights were a must-have and fortunately, in the Northwest, most of the early launch cars were so equipped and the dealer demo bought had them. Undoubtedly, not only are they distinctive but are as effective if not more so than the xenons on our two previous A6's. Also, the A8 has ten individual LED bulbs and integrated lenses that make up the main headlight. I believe the A7 has a lesser number. What is particularly helpful is the built in cornering light within the main housing that operates at 20 mph or below.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Prestige with Innovation package and absolutely LOVE the full LED headlights and internal Ambient LED lighting in the cabin. The headlights are like nothing else I have ever seen. There is a setting for "All Weather" which compensates for low visibility conditions and dims/dips the lights to account for oncoming cars. The cornering lights come on when making a turn and light up the side of the road as you turn. I am a "Light Freak" and am VERY happy with the LED lights on this car. No other car has so many although I am still amazed that the hatch has regular lights (which I will be changing soon).
Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i am very happy to have the full led headlights as well. I think it was well worth the cost.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't even question it - get the LED package. If you search this forum you will see with/without pictures and you'll see the difference. LED really completes the futuristic look and feel of the car.
I actually dropped Side Assist from my order to get the LED package instead.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masonL
I have the Prestige with Innovation package and absolutely LOVE the full LED headlights and internal Ambient LED lighting in the cabin. The headlights are like nothing else I have ever seen. There is a setting for "All Weather" which compensates for low visibility conditions and dims/dips the lights to account for oncoming cars. The cornering lights come on when making a turn and light up the side of the road as you turn. I am a "Light Freak" and am VERY happy with the LED lights on this car. No other car has so many although I am still amazed that the hatch has regular lights (which I will be changing soon).
+1

Quick Reply: LED Headlights? Yes or No