A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

MMI Screen Dead ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Coding new cameras to the car that didn't have it is completely understandable. But swapping a nav screen with another one requiring coding is questionable. It's like swapping identical monitors not needing new drivers, versus adding a new component to the computer.
Jeremy, did your dealer tell you specifically that a coding will be necessary for swapping the nav screen?

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
I dont have the estimate in front of me. As I recall the labor part was $500-700. Unit was previously replace under a TSB under warranty.

The deal will NOT code components not installed at the factory. As evidenced from from prior posts about cameras. Car came with back up cam but I swapped out with front and rear corner cameras. Cameras needed coding which OEMPlus (eventually) had done they now need alignment but again dealer with not do a simple software alignment regardless of out of warranty or cost as it didn’t come New with car. Likewise they won’t install or code a company the display which I bring to them from wreckers. Only if I Buy part from them. $1500 for display and associated.

Buying $300-400 wreckers part and finding someone who thinks they can do and going through the same hell I went through with OEMPlus, Pacific German, & Kufatec only to need to go back to dealer is something I really want to avoid again.

If if there was a shop in LA/OC that had the knowledge and equipment to install comments and modules and get them working first time I would be all over it and pay the price. Anything is better then the dealer pricing. Not to mention dealer is also taking a week to replace the display.

There me has to be someone more knowledgeable and willing to work on the technical stuff. Most swaps seem to just want to do the easier suspension and chip work and then of the electrical / computer stuff.

Really appreciate everyone’s comments and guidance. That’s why I’m here.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Most Audi electrical components are hard coded to the VIN of the vehicle they were originally installed in from the factory. The approach reduces the potential black market for stolen parts. Used parts can only be re-coded to a new VIN by a dealer. Yes, you can install the part and code some functions via VCDS, etc. But, recoding to a VIN enables 100% functionality of the part. The dealer connects to Audi's systems which query's the NICB database to verify the part did not originate from a stolen VIN. Once confirmed, the new VIN is recoded to the part.

Enjoy the ride

NICB: National Insurance Crime Bureau

Has anyone found a fix for this ? I have the same issue and have heard the screen can just be replaced without coding. I dont want to buy one from ebay for 400 bucks and it still doesnt work.