A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Decision Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Decision Help

Apologies in advance if this is too long for the tl;dr folks

I've been trying to find a really nice CPO A7 with the specific color and option choices my wife and I want but more and more I think the stress of trying to find that vehicle makes me think it would be easier ordering new.

Soooo...here is my question. At Audi in Westmont, IL we looked at this car on Saturday:

2015 A7 in Westmont

Very interested in what your thoughts are about this particular vehicle:

(1) It was a VW Credit executive car drive for a year by someone at VCI. The CPO was actually done by Audi/VCI BEFORE it was auctioned off where Westmont bought it. 6000 miles.

(2) Cosmetics....the interior is perfect but there is some stuff on the outside that just bothers me...scratches on the bumper from careless loading of something in the back....scratches around EVERY door handle area where human nails or something have scratched it getting in and out. For a 6000 mile car that seemed like a lot but maybe I am being unreasonable. The ones around the door handles will probably come out the ones on the bumper I highly doubt.

(3) Mechanical....the car has the B&O sound system but the drivers side tweeter is not coming up correctly (it tries to come up and then goes into a partial up and down dance and finally remains open a 1/2")...they'll obviously fix that under warranty (I assume that entire tweeter comes out as a unit and they replace the whole thing)...but is this a common problem with the tweeters in the B&O package?? I was a little surprised they hand't fixed it yet as apparently it worked when it was CPO'd.

When the salesperson first pulled the car around for my wife and I to drive there was a ticking sound coming from the engine...that might have been normal perhaps fuel injector noise I was hearing? Quiet as a MOUSE inside.

There was some brake work done at the CPO check but they don't have a copy of the repair order about what was actually done as Audi/VCI did the the CPO not the selling dealer. Is it possible to pull ALL the service records for an Audi? IE: is there a centralized database of warranty work done? There was the standard CPO checklist in there and a special checklist from VW Credit about the things they did leading up to the auction and a note for the dealer to check the car before offering for sale, etc.

Per the Carfax it also had a tire mounted and balanced around 1200 miles so must have run over something....the wheels themselves appear to be in pretty good shape but it does look like to me that there has been some smoothing out of curb rash in a few spots.

The car seemed to drive perfect and other than the tweeter issue everything worked. I'm not a mechanic but there was nothing obvious to my wife or I.

They are asking $69K for the car (had a $82K list new) and as of this morning they have offered it to me at $66,800. Looking at Black Book and NADA I figure they probably have about $60K in the car. There is probably some more room in the price but they've only had it for sale a week or so and they weren't interested in my $64K - $65K at all on Saturday. But I digress....

My real question to forum members are your thoughts on this particular car, the B&O issue, etc. As of this morning my wife's opinion was perhaps I should just order a new one as this is going to be an issue with every used one I look at

I appreciate any thoughts and help.

Curt

Last edited by msn_badger; 11-09-2015 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would have them detail the car and buff out the scratches that can be removed. You can also have them paint the rear bumper as part of the deal, many dealers do that anyway when they CPO a vehicle. I have the B&O system and I have not seen the that particular issue yet with the tweeter, however I do have a current issue with my Subwoofer in the trunk that needs to be replaced because it's cutting out. Not sure about the ticking noise, they have a slight injector tick but it's ever so slight, you may want to have it looked further into. I wouldn't be concerned with the curb refresh on the rims. I think you might be able to get your price on the car if you're willing to wait a bit. I think you're doing pretty good considering that was $82k sticker. Personally I'd save the extra $ and buy CPO, plus that thing is still under the bumper to bumper factory warranty. Just my opinion. Z.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by localbrew
You can also have them paint the rear bumper as part of the deal, many dealers do that anyway when they CPO a vehicle.... Z.
Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah - I was back and forth about having them paint the bumper to get rid of the scratches...I know I'll add my own set of scratches within a few years but hopefully not from sliding luggage over the bumper. Too bad they didn't put that bumper applique on.

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Everything can be fixed/repaired, but the "ticking" would worry me. Have then start (from cold) another 2015 A7 and see if you hear the same.

My MY12 (gone) and MY15 A7 doesn't tick. However, the FSI engine does make a bit more noise than other cars I've owned
Old 11-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As a reference ... I paid $71,541 for a brand new 2016 A7 Prestige, 20" wheel package and S-line sport package. Window stickered at $74,810. AoA had a summer special and I was a previous Audi owner.

Your CPO price is awfully close to a brand new car cost although your sticker is higher.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Braces
As a reference ... I paid $71,541 for a brand new 2016 A7 Prestige, 20" wheel package and S-line sport package. Window stickered at $74,810. AoA had a summer special and I was a previous Audi owner.

Your CPO price is awfully close to a brand new car cost although your sticker is higher.
B&O sound system adds $$ and if the one he's looking at has the innovation that adds a lot as well. His window sticker is over $8k more.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by localbrew
B&O sound system adds $$ and if the one he's looking at has the innovation that adds a lot as well. His window sticker is over $8k more.
I have B&O also. But agreed on the higher sticker. But I would still opt for the new car.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Leaning Towards New

Thanks for the comments thus far. I am leaning towards new but I may run down there on Friday for one last drive of this used one before I would place the new order.

The B&O system is not something I would order on a new one but its cool that this one happens to have it. I'll definitely followup on that ticking noise by listening to another one.

As for a new one my wife and I are still batting a few options around if anybody has further thoughts:

We are agreed on: Prestige, Driver Assistance, Cold Weather, S Line, Black Optic

We are debating the Contour Seating Package - sounds great as its going to be our road trip car just trying to figure out if its worth the $.

Night Vision Assistant - think I'd rather spend the money on the contour seats but again sounds cool if it really works as advertised with the detection.

Power Closing Doors - we are of two different minds on this one...I think they sound neat - she thinks its silly I can't close my door Other than the cool factor do these serve any useful purpose - I've never had a car with them.

B&O - I have to draw the line somewhere so we'll forgo that.

Our last hangup is on the wood inlays....I guess its mostly a matter of taste but if anyone wanted to comment on the optional layered walnut wood I would be interested. My wife liked the more classic (optional at no charge) dark brown walnut wood and the used car has the standard fine grain ash natural.

-Curt

Last edited by msn_badger; 11-11-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: correct fonts
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I really like the power closing doors. Had these on my A8 and now the A7. It's a cool feature. The B&O is a must IMO. I just like quality music. I'm sure others will chime in on the other options.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by msn_badger
Thanks for the comments thus far. I am leaning towards new but I may run down there on Friday for one last drive of this used one before I would place the new order.

The B&O system is not something I would order on a new one but its cool that this one happens to have it. I'll definitely followup on that ticking noise by listening to another one.

As for a new one my wife and I are still batting a few options around if anybody has further thoughts:

We are agreed on: Prestige, Driver Assistance, Cold Weather, S Line, Black Optic

We are debating the

Power Closing Doors - we are of two different minds on this one...I think they sound neat - she thinks its silly I can't close my door Other than the cool factor do these serve any useful purpose - I've never had a car with them.Contour Seating Package - sounds great as its going to be our road trip car just trying to figure out if its worth the $.

Night Vision Assistant - think I'd rather spend the money on the contour seats but again sounds cool if it really works as advertised with the detection.

B&O - I have to draw the line somewhere so we'll forgo that.

Our last hangup is on the wood inlays....I guess its mostly a matter of taste but if anyone wanted to comment on the optional layered walnut wood I would be interested. My wife liked the more classic (optional at no charge) dark brown walnut wood and the used car has the standard fine grain ash natural.

-Curt
Contour Seating Package is wonderful, worth every penny. My wife has back and knee problems, she was using pillows and blankets stuffed behind and under her in my 2012 A7 with the standard seats and could never get comfortable. In the new 2015 A7 I have the Contour seats and she has no problem sitting on the seats without any external stuffing, all she does is re-adjust the seat every once in a while. And she loves the massager!

The Night Vision Assistant is a total waste of money. I had it in the 2012, dropped it from the 2015. While it looks like an interesting feature and it is great to show it to someone "visiting" your car, it serves no practical purpose. When you drive in the dark, you look through the windshield not staring at the fuzzy small black and white display. It does detect as advertised, but you don't know about it unless you are keeping your eye on the little screen. There is no audible warning!

Quick Reply: A7 Decision Help